Satellite broadcast dropouts

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
craiggsmith

Satellite broadcast dropouts

Post by craiggsmith »

Not sure which forum to post this in ...

We have several brief dropouts in the Priesthood session broadcast tonight, and one last week in the Relief Society broadcast. Was it just us or a universal problem?
Craig
South Jordan, UT
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

Ours went fine all the way through.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

craiggsmith wrote:Was it just us or a universal problem?
We had a solid copy the entire time, including about an hour before and 20 minutes after.

Might need a bit of TLC on your system.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Everything was fine for PH. RS was a different story. I understand that someone else hit the church satellite system and messed it up. About 20 minutes into the first broadcast we got messed up.

How is your signal strength? Is it low enough that the status LED flashes yellow?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kevin.fairchild

Post by kevin.fairchild »

What type of internet connection do you have?
Wireless ISPs like Clearwire may interfere with the satellite signal.

If your satellite signal has constant problems, perhaps you could use the internet for the video source.

Let the FM know of the problems. They can hire a professional who will be able to determine the cause.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Interesting. I was hoping to get up there today and monitor it but haven't. Unfortunately I didn't look at the receiver last night as the problems always went away so quickly enough and I figured there was nothing I could do at the time. I didn't realize the light would flash if reception was bad. Didn't notice any issues with the pre-broadcast. After the closing prayer the broadcast quickly switched to a blue screen with the church's name, which I've never seen before.

We have a cable internet connection, and have never had reception problems in the past. I know one other stake in my area that had a nest or something on their dish that caused reception problems though. Normally I have a laptop available as backup, but hope I never have to use it. It's never fun when something goes out in the middle. Unfortunately we missed the punch line of one of Pres. Uchtdorf's jokes!

I'll take a look but report it to facilities. Thanks.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

The dropouts I heard were during choir numbers. Our dish is on the northwest of the building by the north wall, but is far enough from it for good line of sight and no trees. Broadcasting engineers who set up low-power translators for larger stations usually are made aware of this by the FCC, but the trees in an area close to the transmitter may end up blocking the signal, causing reception trouble in the area past the trees.

Totally clear weather though here. We also have Clearwire operating in the region here in Provo, and it uses old over-the-air TV spectrum, so I am not sure what would be the reason for them causing the problems unless they were on a frequency that would be 10.6 and 10.8 MHz above or below you if any wireless matter was involved in distributing the signal in the building.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:After the closing prayer the broadcast quickly switched to a blue screen with the church's name, which I've never seen before.
That's normal. I looked at the ending of priesthood. After the closing prayer, there was a wide shot, they showed the copyright info as a footer and then fade to black before the banner. Maybe only a few seconds all told. Most sessions are for public consumption, so they'll have shots of temple square and a narrator announcing what the "show" was.

What exactly happened during the outage? Do you normally have a green status light?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Our satellite held up fine for the conference broadcasts, including priesthood meeting.

Our satellite receiver died just before the RS broadcast, so I do not know how that went. Streaming was a whole different matter (both weekends) for another thread.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

craiggsmith wrote:Unfortunately I didn't look at the receiver last night as the problems always went away so quickly enough and I figured there was nothing I could do at the time. I didn't realize the light would flash if reception was bad.

We have a cable internet connection, and have never had reception problems in the past...
Just so we're all on the same page, were you receiving the broadcast via satellite or Internet?

Return to “Satellite”