Two unmarried members living together

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jeffreydoncarter

Two unmarried members living together

Post by jeffreydoncarter »

Can I join two unmarried members into one household who are living together with the male being the head of household?

Thanks

Jeff
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

From a technology standpoint, yes. But note that all other household members will be "other" (children). You cannot make someone a spouse unless the marriage is recorded on their records.

As for "should you", I think that's the bishop's decision, but I haven't had a chance to check a manual.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

JeffreyDonCarter wrote:Can I join two unmarried members into one household who are living together with the male being the head of household?
Why would you do this?

If they are not married they would be to separate households.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

We have had several instances where adult children moved back in with their parents. In most of the cases, we have left them as their own household at the same address as the parents (after consulting with those concerned).

While not the same situation you describe, my point is that you don't have to combine records just because they happen to be living at the same address. In fact, sometimes it makes sense to have different HT or VT assignments for the different individuals at the same address and keeping the households separate helps this be more straightforward.

Return to “Membership Help”