Directory print output option

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
jla59

Directory print output option

Post by jla59 »

It would be nice to have print options for the Directory that allow the choice of a different document format other than PDF; for example ODF or Open Office XML formats. This would allow for user corrections to problems in the directory that others have discussed before. With an editable format we could easily remove non-member spouses that show up in the printed directory, change formatting of font, font size, and color to make it more readable.

I'm hoping LisaAn will see this and pass it along. I've also submitted this through the feedback link.
jaj78

Post by jaj78 »

Great point. With an editable format, the ward clerk could include entries for the temple phone number, the cannery, the stake center, family history library, etc all on the same page.

Even still, making corrections for non-member spouses (or separations that haven't been supressed) should be motivation enough...
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jla59 wrote:It would be nice to have print options for the Directory that allow the choice of a different document format other than PDF; for example ODF or Open Office XML formats. This would allow for user corrections to problems in the directory that others have discussed before.

Having other print options doesn't allow for user corrections. That would only be possible if there were also some sort of bulk import of a format such as XML. Although that could have its benefits, it would also introduce significant risks, since it would enable clerks to make many changes at one time with no visual verification of the changes, as is required right now since you have to change one record at a time and you see the changes as you make them.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

aebrown wrote:Having other print options doesn't allow for user corrections. That would only be possible if there were also some sort of bulk import of a format such as XML. Although that could have its benefits, it would also introduce significant risks, since it would enable clerks to make many changes at one time with no visual verification of the changes, as is required right now since you have to change one record at a time and you see the changes as you make them.

I don't think the OP meant corrections to the membership records but changes to the directory itself. Things like adding additional numbers for bishop's storehouses, temples, employment centers, etc. Things like removing households who have moved but where the clerk is still trying to find the new address before moving the records. Things like changes to the directory format (fonts, colors, layout, etc). And so forth.

Printing to an Open Office format would make those things a lot easier. However, I expect it more difficult for the developers than generating PDF. There are more tools available to create PDFs.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

eblood66 wrote:I don't think the OP meant corrections to the membership records but changes to the directory itself.

The first two posts specifically mentioned corrections to non-member spouses. That's what I was responding to.

And adding additional information on storehouses, temples, etc. would also require some sort of bulk import. My main point was that framing the question as "print output options" is ignoring where the bulk of the development work would be -- on the import side.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

aebrown wrote:The first two posts specifically mentioned corrections to non-member spouses. That's what I was responding to.

And adding additional information on storehouses, temples, etc. would also require some sort of bulk import. My main point was that framing the question as "print output options" is ignoring where the bulk of the development work would be -- on the import side.
I'm afraid you're still not understanding the original request. This isn't about importing anything into the church's systems. This is about generating a first draft of the directory in something like Open Office. The user could then make changes to the directory using a word processor locally before printing it locally. None of those corrections would have to be imported anywhere. The only development would be in generating a version of the directory in a word processing format rather than in a PDF format.

This would not affect any other user when they print the directory. They would get the same thing they always would. This changed directory would have to be distributed in hard copy or attached to a newsletter article.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

eblood66 wrote:I'm afraid you're still not understanding the original request. This isn't about importing anything into the church's systems.

Sorry to be slow -- I focused too much on the word "corrections" and made a bad assumption. I understand now what is being requested.

One option that is currently available would be to to take the output from the Export Households option and use the merge feature of a word processor to generate whatever format you want. The two big limitation on this approach are that photos are not included, nor is the leadership directory an option. For the leadership part, the MLS export of leaders might be an option, but that is only available to MLS administrators and obviously lacks the convenience of accessing the data from the Web.
jla59

Post by jla59 »

Sorry for the confusion. I am referring to printed directories, which now come out as a PDF version. I do like the formatted columns and other leadership info that Print options give us now. But it comes with problems; faint fonts when printing black and white, non-member spouses....

Right now I do resort to the Export Households and have it linked to a pre-formatted spreadsheet. I'm able to make corrections in this and then have it printed as the ward directory (our ward still relies on a hard-copy directory)

As I said I like the formatting of the PDF version, but if it was available in other formats I would use it in a heartbeat with only making a few minor tweaks.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”