How did you succeed in getting members to use tools at LDS.org?

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
mevans

How did you succeed in getting members to use tools at LDS.org?

Post by mevans »

I'm curious how people have had success in getting the members to use the lds.org tools provided by the church. I've been called to do this in my ward and have some ideas and inspiration about how to approach this, but I'm wondering what others have done?

I think most members are completely unaware of what's out there and how it can help them. I have stake leaders telling me that even tech-savvy members aren't interested and find it too much of a problem to log in to look at the directory, etc.

Thanks for your thoughts...
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I have a similar experience. I think it will need to be introduced as one of the official curriculum courses before it takes root.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

First: you need to provide members with the instructions on how to obtain a log on. I plan on doing this when I handout Donation statements along with a IOS. I also going to put in the instuctions on how to obtain a log on.

Second: you need to educated member about whats Tools are available, such as the directory, calendar, lesson Schedule, and News Letter, etc. things they need to be aware of if they want information.

Third: you need to start using all the tools at the ward level so that the information is there and upto date.

Fourth: when members ask about items they could have looked up on LDS.ORG ask them if they have check on the church web site.

I think if you follow these steps that ward members will start using the tools and will soon find the benefit of all the different things available on LDS.ORG.
ggllbb

Post by ggllbb »

We used the fifth Sunday in September for have a combined Relief Society / Priesthood meeting to 'introduce' what is available to the members (and non-members). I emphasized 'ministering' vs. 'administering' (see Alma 22:23-25). I tried to cover much more than just the logged in accessible items (directory, calendar, etc.) but, unfortunately, I ran out of time way before I was done, so I am working on ways to 'keep going' with this. Someone even suggested we have a Saturday activity to do this, but I'm worried about getting members to show up. I guess we could include food (heh heh).

In addition to following the suggestions that Gary made (thanks for those), I am considering putting a short article in the newsletter giving a new suggestion with instructions. And change that regularly. The hard part is getting people to actually read the newsletter.

I have other ideas I'm working on, but nothing ready to talk about.

At the combined meeting, the members were very attentive and wanted more.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I was toying with the idea of an lds.org tip-of-the-week for ward bulletins in the stake. Maybe one or two sentences designed to generate interest on a different feature available to them online.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ggllbb

Post by ggllbb »

Mikerowaved wrote:I was toying with the idea of an lds.org tip-of-the-week for ward bulletins in the stake. Maybe one or two sentences designed to generate interest on a different feature available to them online.
Good idea. And since I sit right next to the sister that does the bulletin while she is doing it, I can and do have input to it every week.

I just need to come up with a way to get people to notice it.
showseason

Post by showseason »

For some time, with the help of our website administrator, we have been able to talk about the new tools on-line in leadership meetings and on a fifth Sunday as well. When we are the last ward in the building on Sunday (once every three years) we have a light dinner social after church on the 5th Sunday of the month. We take that opportunity to have a laptop set up in a corner of the cultural hall where people could ask questions and learn about LDS Classic. Next year when we are last again, I plan on doing the same with the new lds.org (with more laptops as needed).

We have no more printed calendars. Members are given directions to access it on line.

One big thing is that requests to the library for a copy of the ward directory have dropped dramatically. We still do a few but people are handed a sheet of instructions on how to do it at home.

One way I have been gauging how things are going is from the number of family pictures on the ward directory. We have 37 pictures now, more than the other eight wards in the stake combined. Granted that’s just a drop in the 389 households we have but a start.

Just recently we called, well not really called, but asked a person to take pictures of the families in the ward for the directory. This should add to the interest.

We plan to use the time at Tithing Settlements to spread the word too.
gyoungberg

Post by gyoungberg »

We had the same struggle in our stake, and things aren't perfect yet by any means. But a couple of years ago as Stake leadership we committed to having the stake calendar complete and accurate in the online calendar. That year we still printed a stake calendar for distribution, but made sure everyone knew that the online calendar was the place to go for the most current information. The following year we quit publishing a stake calendar completely and told ward leaders that if they needed a printed calendar that they could pull up the online calendar and print it themselves. Since then, we've seen a significant increase in the online usage across the stake. We've also had technology workshops and 5th Sunday lessons to explain many of the other available resources on lds.org. We've had clerks helping people register while waiting for tithing settlement... following many of the great suggestions noted in this thread. The hardest part is just to get it on the radar as a good helpful tool and getting people registered. Once they get used to going there for calendar and directory, they just seem to keep digging deeper into the other resources.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

I did a 5th Sunday Powerpoint presentation about the "new" LDS.org back in January 2011. It was helpful in getting people to use the site, but I suppose it would be nice to do another such presentation. Maybe I could do it more succinctly now because not everything I show them will seem so brand new.
clintonjjames

Post by clintonjjames »

Does anyone have material they would like to share? I am looking for a nice "how to sign up for LDS Account" I have seen a one page flyer once, but can't find anything online.

Return to “Main Church Website”