Sync issues

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
whitfairbanks

Sync issues

Post by whitfairbanks »

I purchased a new phone this week and it will not sync the calendar. It runs ios6 and when I set up the subscription the phone claims it is set up correctly. However, I cannot see any of my church calendar items on my phone. I have the calendar synced to multiple devices and it works on each of them. I just cannot get my phone to show the appointments. Any ideas if this is related to the upgrade? If so, any suggestions?

Thanks
jaclegg

Sync with Google Calendar Unsuccessful

Post by jaclegg »

I have tried twice to sync the church calendar with my Google calendar, but was unsuccessful both times. The error message said: Failed to import calendar from "http://www.lds.org/church-calendar/serv ... subscribe/********************************". (Asterisks in place of unique alpha-numeric character combinations.) I tried getting a new URL, but had the same result.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd suggest using a iCal validator (such as this one) to see if there's a problem with the iCal file. Note that the one I linked to will give a "Sorry, your calendar could not be parsed. Error: Error was: Error at line 1: Expected [-3], read [-1]" message if you attempt to check your file in less than the 9 minute refresh limit set by the church.

There may be a problem with your particular calendar data that's causing the problem.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kielklan

Sync with Google Calendar Unsuccessful, too

Post by kielklan »

Having the exact same issue as jaclegg...no luck here.
cblackwelder

Unable to initally sync with google calendar

Post by cblackwelder »

Exact same issue as jaclegg and kielklan. Tried the validator suggested, here and elsewhere, and it comes back clean. If anybody has any other ideas, please share. Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You might try feeding the download iCal file into the program in question just to see if it takes it.

If you can monitor the network connection somehow, you might check to see any of your devices are "double connecting" during an attempt.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kielklan

Post by kielklan »

I was able to import the iCal file manually.

I had my phone using a 3rd party app to sync to a my google calendar. I turned off the phone and it then synced up the lds.org calendar with google calendar.

Will it sync like it should now or do I have to turn my phone off so that it will sync?

Also...it syncs ALL the lds calendars and not just the ones that I have selected. Is there a way around that?

Thanks...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kielklan wrote:Also...it syncs ALL the lds calendars and not just the ones that I have selected. Is there a way around that?

The sync syncs all the calendars you are subscribed to. The checkboxes on the main page only affect the web calendar. You'll have to go to the subscription page to control what gets synced. Note that removing something from the sync also removes the checkbox from the main page.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kielklan wrote:Also...it syncs ALL the lds calendars and not just the ones that I have selected. Is there a way around that?

The sync syncs all the calendars you are subscribed to. The checkboxes on the main page only affect the web calendar. You'll have to go to the subscription page to control what gets synced. Note that removing something from the sync also removes the checkbox from the main page.

kielklan wrote:I had my phone using a 3rd party app to sync to a my google calendar. I turned off the phone and it then synced up the lds.org calendar with google calendar.

Will it sync like it should now or do I have to turn my phone off so that it will sync?

I find that Google does a sync about once a day. If there's a setting for that, I can't find it. I can't speak to the 3rd party app.

aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Actually, it syncs all of your subscribed calendars. Checking boxes by the list of subscribed calendars in the main calendar view on LDS.org has no effect on what syncs. But you can indeed change the list of calendars that are synced to your device by unsubscribing from some of those calendars.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Calendar”