NFS and Reunion software

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
zaneclark

NFS and Reunion software

Post by zaneclark »

Is there any problem with using the NFS with the Reunion program for Mac? Our area, (Las Vegas) is scheduled to have access to the NFS in about 2 weeks and I'm sure I will find out the answer then, but I'm just curious about any experience anyone my have already had.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Define "using". nFS only accepts GEDCOMs, so it's not like you can upload your Reunion database in native form. And I'd strongly advise against any uploads right away. nFS is not a blank slate. To the extent that temple work has been done for your ancestors, or submitted to Ancestral File or Pedigree Resource File, they are already in the system - you just need to put the pieces together.

Some software will be coming out with a new version that will sync with nFS using nFS's API. Unfortunately I haven't seen Reunion on that list. You'll have to talk to Leister Productions about that.
JensenFA

Mac software slated to sync with newFS

Post by JensenFA »

Is there a Mac genealogy software that IS on the list of those that are working on syncing with newFS?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jensenfa wrote:Is there a Mac genealogy software that IS on the list of those that are working on syncing with newFS?
None that I know of. :(

I seriously doubt that it's an issue on the church's side, but that the companies just have to be willing to join up.
garysturn

nFS Mac

Post by garysturn »

You don't need a desktop program to use newFamilySearch, it is web based. All you need is access to the internet. The nFS API will allow comercial software vendors to interface their desktop programs with nFS, I am sure some company will eventually create an interface with a Mac software program.

There is really not a need to interface your personal files with nFS if all your files contain names which have already had Temple Work done for them because those names are already in nFS. You can submit names to nFS that have not had Temple work done for them and are not in nFS using a GEDCOM file or by entering them in directly online.

The biggest advantage to a desktop program that will interface with nFS will be the ability to download from nFS the information you do not have in you own files. But even then that information is available to you at any time online without the need for a desktop program. Desktop programs offer more functions than the online program provides but more functions are being added all the time so that will not be so important in the future.
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

GarysTurn wrote:The biggest advantage to a desktop program that will interface with nFS will be the ability to download from nFS the information you do not have in you own files. But even then that information is available to you at any time online without the need for a desktop program. Desktop programs offer more functions than the online program provides but more functions are being added all the time so that will not be so important in the future.

Until Internet access is readily available at every conceiveable place you will do research, desktop programs will be very useful. It is very handy to have your genealogical data on a laptop while you are doing research, as you never know just what information you will come across and how it will connect to your existing data.

But I certainly agree with Gary's big point (if I understood him properly :)) that we need to change our thinking and treat the common nFS data as our repository of information, rather than millions of isolated data sets on individuals' desktops.
poulsone

Post by poulsone »

I hope Gramps will soon be able to sync using the API. If I can get some other projects done, I might help make it happen. ( http://www.gramps-project.org/)
allredlt

Post by allredlt »

I'm working on some Mac software that will sync with nFS, unfortunately it's still in the early stages so not much to see yet.

I'm hoping once that FSKit gets stable, it should make it easy for other Mac applications to add nFS support.

Here's a screenshot of the first partially-working demo app in FSKit.

Return to “Family History”