Non-Resident Members

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:As odd as it seems, there is evidence to the contrary. Keep in mind the new site is simply new "modules". It's not a complete site.

It's an interesting theory, but in this post a Church developer explains how there cannot be such a connection.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

A recent MLS message advised everyone that the Classic Web Sites would disappear at the end of this year (2012).
However, I still haven't seen a replacement for the "Non-Resident Member" function on the Classic Web Site.
I am assuming that this feature is still needed, and if so, then it will either be added soon or.....
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

techgy wrote:A recent MLS message advised everyone that the Classic Web Sites would disappear at the end of this year (2012).
However, I still haven't seen a replacement for the "Non-Resident Member" function on the Classic Web Site.
I am assuming that this feature is still needed, and if so, then it will either be added soon or.....
If you create an out of unit member record and give them a leadership calling in MLS, they will have access to the unit's Directory and other applications. That seems to provide most of the functionality that the "Non-Resident Member" feature of the Classic site.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Thanks Alan. After I made the post I found an article in the Wiki that gave me some information.
One thing I'm curious about, now that I think about this, is what action will need to be done when the Non-Resident function on the Classic Web Sites disappears? We have probably around 6-7 people serving in a YSA ward that do not live in our stake. I can only assume that, when the classic web site disappears, that we'll need to do some cleanup by creating new Out of Unit member records for each of these people. Or....can this be done in advance? hmmm
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

techgy wrote:I can only assume that, when the classic web site disappears, that we'll need to do some cleanup by creating new Out of Unit member records for each of these people. Or....can this be done in advance? hmmm

I would do them now.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

RussellHltn wrote:I would do them now.
I went back and read again the article I referenced in the Wiki.
In order to have access to the Local Unit Web Site, it appears that the "Non-Resident" feature of the classic web sites must be used.
There's no mention of that ability being gained as a result of adding a person as a "out of unit member". Or did I miss something?

My point is that if John Jones is serving as a ward clerk in ward XXX and his home ward is out of the stake in which he's serving, then adding him as an "out of unit" member doesn't appear to give him access to the "ward xxx" web site and directory.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

There was some debate as to whether the classic site gave any access to the new site. According to one person, that seem to be the magic that made it work, but a church employee indicated that it couldn't be the case.

But your example of John Jones sounds like a classic out-of-unit leadership position.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

techgy wrote:My point is that if John Jones is serving as a ward clerk in ward XXX and his home ward is out of the stake in which he's serving, then adding him as an "out of unit" member doesn't appear to give him access to the "ward xxx" web site and directory.

What do you mean when you say "access to the 'ward xxx' web site and directory"? With the new tools, there is no such thing as "ward xxx web site" -- that could only be referring to the Classic Ward and Stake Websites. For those old sites, you would have to be a non-resident member, but since that's all going away soon, I don't see any point in doing that.

You also mentioned "directory"; if by that you mean the new Directory on LDS.org (not Classic), then adding John Jones as an out of unit member in the ward in which he is serving and giving him the standard calling of Ward Clerk in that ward will indeed give him access to that ward's directory (and he'll still have access to his home ward's directory).
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

aebrown wrote:You also mentioned "directory"; if by that you mean the new Directory on LDS.org (not Classic), then adding John Jones as an out of unit member in the ward in which he is serving and giving him the standard calling of Ward Clerk in that ward will indeed give him access to that ward's directory (and he'll still have access to his home ward's directory).
Thanks. This clarifies what I was looking for.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”