TEM "OFFERS" for Clerk Computers

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
rolandc

TEM "OFFERS" for Clerk Computers

Post by rolandc »

Are we free to install the "Offers" some appear to be commercial software that in June the church was steering us away from?

What kind of "offers" have some of you guys seen?
Roland
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I don't know about any of the offers other than the one mentioned here. It is a fix for the Sophos Shh/Updater-B false positive.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

It looks like from the reports here and on the Sophos false-positive thread that 'offers' are much like the things that we were able to get from a deployment portal module that was part of LANDesk.

In an FHC setting, which is where I'm most familiar with LANDesk, you opened the deployment portal there to download the software versions for FHC that the Church worked out things with the vendors for. So it looks like, whenever the switchover is made from LANDesk to TEM in the FHCs, that this will be the way to get the needed updates, and full versions (especially true when computers are new or replaced for some reason), or to simply add the software needed that is found under 'offers' when it is needed.

This way the Church can deploy any third-party optional software it wants to offer the clerks. Sounds like also that after the initial install from the 'offers' area on TEM, TEM will know to push updates, patches, etc., for those items when made available and they are installed on a given machine running TEM.
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

GCS and LUS both say we can accept the offers, Including the one Labeled.......... OFFICE 2010 PLUS
Roland
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rolandc wrote:GCS and LUS both say we can accept the offers, Including the one Labeled.......... OFFICE 2010 PLUS

That's interesting. If I saw that I'd have thought that CHQ had mistaken our unit's computer with that of a church employee.

By any chance, is your network shared with church office like FM group, institute, or Family Services?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

RussellHltn wrote:That's interesting. If I saw that I'd have thought that CHQ had mistaken our unit's computer with that of a church employee.

By any chance, is your network shared with church office like FM group, institute, or Family Services?

No sir, and I just finished checking two other wards. They have it on there offers also.

CHQ said Install it if they want it.
Roland
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I only have to wonder if they did it to deliver the Sophos Fix, or like other things it just sort-of happens. But, we are only speculating. Is there no help for the widow's son?
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

The term "offers" gives me the idea that someone, somehow is going to pay something for the "offer".
Are these free deals or is there a $$$ tied to these at some point?
A ward budget could south real quick with Office 2010 if there were a charge tied to the download.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

I've escalated this issue to see if we can get a definitive statement from CHQ.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
CrookDL
Church Employee
Church Employee

CHQ Response

Post by CrookDL »

I'll jump in here quickly and then let Brian Fromm detail out a longer response if necessary.

I'm one of the engineers over our Tivoli Endpoint Manager product. We are working on turning on the Application Finder icon and "Offers" mode for TEM; however, Office 2010 should NOT be on that list and we're working to figure out why that is showing and get that corrected. Local Units are NOT authorized to install Office due to the cost. We hope to have the "offers" application turned on with the right list of apps within a few weeks.

We did inadvertently push the icon in the system tray out to some units today. We quickly realized the mistake and took action to reverse it.

Thanks!

Return to “Clerk Computers”