Calendar View Distorted with New Update

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
dcrockett3

Calendar View Distorted with New Update

Post by dcrockett3 »

Within the last week (perhaps due to calendar update on 26 Sept) the calendar view has become distorted when I view it, to an almost unusable level. I have logged in to view the calendar similar to what I have done in the past and I get a different view of the calendar. This has been verified on two different computers and two different accounts (my wife logged in also and got the same results).

Previous view:
The original view that I am used to had the main calendar occupying the majority of the screen. On the left side of the calendar, there was a small sub-panel that contained "Subscribed Calendars" and "Locations".

Distorted View (see screen capture below):
The current distorted view has text overlapping, making it hard to read and unusable, especially the "Subscribed Calendars" and "Locations". The basic calendar at the top of the screen has the month name overlapping the days of the week. Below this basic calendar, "Subscribed Calendars" and "Locations" occupy the full width of the window, and overflow onto each other and into the main calendar. Because of this overlap of text, subscribed calendars cannot be turned on or off.
Calendar_Screen_Capture.jpg
(73.47 KiB) Downloaded 217 times

Has anyone else seen similar problems and do you know how to fix the problem?

Thank you.
Don Crockett.
Attachments
Calendar_Screen_Capture.jpg
(85.75 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I believe there's a known problem if you use "zoom" to make the page larger. Try pressing Ctrl-0 to reset it to 100%.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

dcrockett3 wrote:Within the last week (perhaps due to calendar update on 26 Sept) the calendar view has become distorted when I view it, to an almost unusable level.
This is a known problem for IE. It has been reported in several other threads all named the same thing.
calendar problems
Calendar problems
Calendar problems

In this post we are directed to an LDSTech announcement of recommended web browsers. You may want to consider using Firefox or Chrome to view the calendar until the issue is resolved.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

This looks like the known problem with Internet Explorer 8 (the same thing happens with IE7 or with IE9 in compatibility view). Try a different browser (or if you are in compatibility view, turn off compatibility view).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
dajhorn

Post by dajhorn »

The Chrome Frame Plugin might resolve this glitch for Internet Explorer 8 on Windows XP. The solution would be:

1. Prompt legacy browsers to install the plugin. (Template code here.)

2a. And add this server header: X-UA-Compatible: chrome=1
2b. Or add this page tag: <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="chrome=1">

For the user, this is good because installing a plugin is less disruptive than changing browsers. Most people won't think twice.

For the developer, this is good because it is a nearly zero cost way of supporting IE 6, 7, and 8.
pewade

Calendar View Distorted

Post by pewade »

I also have the same problem on my computer. I have Mozella Foxfire on my computer and so I tried getting to the calendar from that internet. It works fine using Mosella. But I don't understand why it should have changed in the first place.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

pewade wrote:But I don't understand why it should have changed in the first place.
One of the mysteries of the kingdom. I can only speculate that they were not able to roll back for some reason and wanted to put the effort into the next version then to fix a soon-to-be-replaced version.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jvanskiver

My calendar is very distorted also.

Post by jvanskiver »

I see huge lines for each of the calendar subscriptions and a very little blurry calendar in the upper right corner and then a little version of the actual calendar that is very hard to read.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jvanskiver wrote:I see huge lines for each of the calendar subscriptions and a very little blurry calendar in the upper right corner and then a little version of the actual calendar that is very hard to read.
You must be using IE8 (or IE7). That is not recommended for using the tools on LDS.org, as seen in the article LDSTech announcement of recommended web browsers.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kyleq

Post by kyleq »

dajhorn wrote:The Chrome Frame Plugin might resolve this glitch for Internet Explorer 8 on Windows XP.
I've added your suggestion to the bug report and included a link and suggestion to look into to using GCF as a relatively simple fix to the issue. Thanks for finding this and suggesting it!

Return to “Calendar”