draft of calendar videos

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
tomjoht

draft of calendar videos

Post by tomjoht »

I mentioned last week that I was working on some video tutorials for the calendar. I added 11 videos to the Videos tab of the Calendar help file. https://

I know Youtube is blocked in meetinghouses. I'll upload these videos to Brightcove (the church's regular video server) on Monday. If you have feedback about any of the videos, let me know. Additionally, if you have more topics you want me to cover, let me know.

Tom
aebrown
Community Administrator

Feedback on "Setting Up the Calendar" video

Post by aebrown »

In Step 1, it would be helpful to mention that it is important to click the checkbox that says "This location can be scheduled by Wards and Stakes"; in your tutorial, that box was already checked, but it is not checked by default. Failure to check that box has been a source of great confusion for a significant number of people.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Feedback on "Understanding Calendar Views" video

Post by aebrown »

In the description of Week view, during the discussion of events from another ward that are visible in Week view, you say that you can see them because "both events have a location that I'm subscribed to." I think that wording is rather confusing, since the term "subscribed" really doesn't apply here. Rather, it's more accurate to say something like "both events have a location that I have chosen to display." The term "subscribed" implies that it is a durable setting, but it is simply a checkbox on the main display, and works almost exactly like the calendar display checkboxes. We certainly don't want to confuse subscribing with displaying for calendars, and so we shouldn't confuse those terms for locations.

Speaking of those checkboxes, you never explain what they are for. That would be helpful. [Later... Okay, you do explain that in the Subscribed Calendars and Locations video, which is probably a reasonable place to do that. But you have the same confusing term "Subscribed Locations" in that video, including in the title.]

Also, near the end you say "you can navigate to future months by clicking the buttons next to Today" but you are showing Week view at that point, so that doesn't sound right. In that context, you are navigating to future weeks.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Feedback on "Scheduling Events" and "Sending E-mail Reminders" videos

Post by jdlessley »

In both videos you talk about e-mail reminders. At about the 2:00 minute mark of the "Scheduling Events" video the e-mail reminder is added. When setting the e-mail reminder for the event being created you state that the reminder is to update everyone of the event. That is misleading. Rather the reminder is sent only to those who have subscribed to the calendar in which the event is created and have checked the "Allow email reminders for calendar events" option in Settings Options.

In the "Sending E-mail Reminders" video at about the 1:02 minute point you state that the e-mail reminder will be sent to everyone who is subscribed to the calendar. Again this is not completely correct. Calendar subscribers must also have the "Allow email reminders for calendar events" checked in Settings Options for them to receive the e-mail reminder.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

This is great feedback. Thank you for submitting it. I think I can make these edits fairly easily. I agree with both of your points about the wording and about the check box. I'll try to update these three videos this week.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Feedback on "Creating Reservations" video

Post by aebrown »

At the 0:10 mark, you say "locations are open for scheduling by default." But that's not correct; when you create a location, the "This location can be scheduled by Wards and Stakes" check box is not checked.

I think you were trying to communicate that (assuming a building is enabled for scheduling) any time slot can be scheduled until reservations are created. But saying a location is "open for scheduling by default" could be confusing because of that other context.
tomjoht

updates coming

Post by tomjoht »

I appreciate all the feedback on the videos. I received some more feedback internally as well, such as emphasizing the best practice of adding people by calling rather than name when creating calendars.

I will make all of these updates soon, but it may take me a couple of weeks. I want to be sure I've collected all the feedback there is before updating the videos. So even though I put out an article letting others know about the videos (see New LDS.org Calendar Video Tutorials, and I haven't yet incorporated your feedback, it doesn't mean I won't. It just means I haven't gotten to it yet, and I'm waiting to make sure I've collected all the feedback.

Return to “Calendar”