who will set apart elders qourum president

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
stonlog-p40

who will set apart elders qourum president

Post by stonlog-p40 »

Hi,
I have this experienced just yesterday where I was set apart as a new branch elders quorum president, one of the district president councilor is the one who perform the setting apart.
I am a bit confused because according to the handbook of instruction book 1 ( chart of calling ) only the mission president who can perform the setting apart for the elders quorum president as well as the district president provided that it is delegated to him from the mission president. Hope you can help me understand and have peace. Thanks in advance and really appreciate your help.

sincerely,
winston
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

stonlog wrote:I have this experienced just yesterday where I was set apart as a new branch elders quorum president, one of the district president councilor is the one who perform the setting apart.
I am a bit confused because according to the handbook of instruction book 1 ( chart of calling ) only the mission president who can perform the setting apart for the elders quorum president as well as the district president provided that it is delegated to him from the mission president. Hope you can help me understand and have peace. Thanks in advance and really appreciate your help.
An Elders Quorum President should be given keys when he is set apart, and only a leader with keys can give him those keys. So that is why the calling chart dictates who can set apart an EQP. I would recommend that you kindly ask the district president to help you understand if you have indeed properly received the keys of your calling.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
Tangiora-p40

Post by Tangiora-p40 »

Two things, one yes the Mission or District President should set you apart and give you keys something I don't believe the counselors hold. Two I don't see the Elder's Quorum president listed in the distribution of handbook number 1. I assume you don't have a copy as there aren't supposed to be any extras lying around and they are to be returned immediately on release from a calling that does have one.;) So I presume you got this from hearsay, or you were just released from the district/branch/or mission presidency?
Tangiora-p40

Post by Tangiora-p40 »

By the way I did see how old this topic was but stumbled on it whilst searching for some thing similar.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

the chart does indeed state that it should be only the Mission or District President. I can't see any latitude on that one - so I would clarify with your priesthood leaders to ensure that everything was conducted appropriately, and if necessary - arrange to be set apart again.
stonlog-p40

Post by stonlog-p40 »

Thank you guys for your help and support! I was able to contact the district president in our area just yesterday regarding the matter and he said he had a talked with the mission president confirming that his councilor in the district can really do the sitting apart because the area is very far and is hard for travel, Is this a valid reason?
I think I need your opinion once more before I will decide to talk with my priesthood leaders about the matter. And that I would rather call again their attention so this can be corrected immediately.
About the handbook of instruction book 1 I think I can explain it a little bit, I am previously released as a bishop in my former ward due to a transfer of residence with my family,unfortunately I was not able to turnover the handbook of instruction and so I still was able to turn the page and review the procedure, hope this can help.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

stonlog wrote:Thank you guys for your help and support! I was able to contact the district president in our area just yesterday regarding the matter and he said he had a talked with the mission president confirming that his councilor in the district can really do the sitting apart because the area is very far and is hard for travel, Is this a valid reason?
The district leader and mission president are your priesthood leaders who have the keys of authority in your location. So if you have talked to the district leader who talked to the mission president, I think you have been talking to the right people.

The only specific question I would have is if the counselor who set you apart specifically said to you during that blessing that he was conferring the keys of that calling on you. It is essential that you have the keys. But I could certainly imagine that in some parts of the world some additional delegation of responsibility may be necessary. So as long as that important detail was covered in your blessing, I would recommend that you be content with what your priesthood leaders have done and said.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

stonlog wrote:Thank you guys for your help and support! I was able to contact the district president in our area just yesterday regarding the matter and he said he had a talked with the mission president confirming that his councilor in the district can really do the sitting apart because the area is very far and is hard for travel, Is this a valid reason?

Yes, it is a valid reason. By specific assignment from the president, a counselor may perform this setting apart, including giving keys.

The Twelve Apostles hold keys, yet each week newly called stake presidents are set apart and given the keys of presidency by members of the Quorums of the Seventy who are authorized by the Twelve by specific assignment to confer the keys of presidency on their behalf.

What a marvelous calling, to preside over a quorum of elders and work with them in building the Kingdom here on this earth. Be humble, stay in tune with the Spirit, listen to your priesthood leaders, invite every one of your quorum members to serve with you, and have the most exciting time of your life.

And since you have been a bishop, you already know how much a faithful elders quorum president can bless the lives of the members of his ward. May the Lord be with you and bless you with success.
stonlog-p40

Thank you

Post by stonlog-p40 »

Thank you, its been a wonderful experienced for me to be here in the church forum, I felt I am in the right place with all the wonderful people around.
I realised that they are my priesthood leaders and i need to sustained them. Anyway, Im glad that the matter has been decided and the district president will eventually sets me apart again since he will be here in our area this coming saturday.
Its been a pleasure for me to interact with you, all your inputs are highly appreciated. Again, thank you very much brothers and more power to tech.lds Mabuhay!
jordankelly

Post by jordankelly »

lajackson wrote:Yes, it is a valid reason. By specific assignment from the president, a counselor may perform this setting apart, including giving keys.

The Twelve Apostles hold keys, yet each week newly called stake presidents are set apart and given the keys of presidency by members of the Quorums of the Seventy who are authorized by the Twelve by specific assignment to confer the keys of presidency on their behalf.

What a marvelous calling, to preside over a quorum of elders and work with them in building the Kingdom here on this earth. Be humble, stay in tune with the Spirit, listen to your priesthood leaders, invite every one of your quorum members to serve with you, and have the most exciting time of your life.

And since you have been a bishop, you already know how much a faithful elders quorum president can bless the lives of the members of his ward. May the Lord be with you and bless you with success.
I cant understand why ynu are well wishing him as eqp as he is not elidgible to fulfil that calling as a realised bishop i am sure he would have been ordained as a high priest. I think that he was saying is that he has been set apart as the branch presiden of his branch and wondering if the person who set him part was authorised to confere ph keys

Return to “General Discussions”