Music sounds like it's under water in PVC

Discussions about the desktop video conferencing solution provided by the Church

Moderators: MarchantRR, rodhyde

lionelwalters

Music sounds like it's under water in PVC

Post by lionelwalters »

This is a bit of a strange issue, but something that we are dealing with as we prepare to use PVC to extend our stake conference this weekend. When transmitting voices, the audio is just fine, but we've found that when we start transmitting music, such as for hymns and musical items, the audio becomes all warbly, sounding like it's under water. Has anybody encountered this, and do you have any suggestions as to how we can address this?

We are capturing audio directly from the sound system and inputting it into the line in port on the laptop. Recording audio directly using a sound recorder application and the same physical cable setup is just fine.

Thanks in advance!

Lionel
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

The problem you're describing is usually associated with highly compressed audio. Settings that are fine with the sound of someone talking can be a big problem with music. I have no experience with PVC and don't know if the amount of compression is fixed or if it automatically changes based on available bandwidth... or if the user can specify a setting. You might be "stuck with this." I would conclude that the reason it sounds fine when recording the audio on the computer is that there isn't the kind of compression associated with the streamed version.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

To some extent PVC adjusts to the available bandwidth. I'd make sure there's nothing competing for upload/download during your broadcast. That would mean you need to turn off all wireless access points to prevent the member's phones and tablets from using the link - possibly without their knowledge that it's doing that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gyoungberg

Post by gyoungberg »

Has anyone else here used PVC in a large venue with a choir successfully? We had audio quality issues with the choir using the Webcast Communicator until we got a couple of condenser microphones and turned off the Voice-o-matic (in the sound cabinet) when the choir sang. That might be the same problem you are experiencing. We're using PVC for stake conference for the first time in a few weeks and I'd hate to take a step backwards in audio quality.
gyoungberg

Post by gyoungberg »

Did you come up with a solution to the underwater sound in PVC?

Return to “Personal Video Conferencing”