Bishop passing info on members to next bishop

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
NickABryson

Bishop passing info on members to next bishop

Post by NickABryson »

The bishop in our ward will be released soon and needs to pass on some information on members to the next bishop. He wants to know, is there a way to enter it in MLS so it will be on the members records for the next bishop? Or should he just write it down on paper copies for him?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I wouldn't suggest putting it MLS.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

What we did:

The old bishop printed off a ward directory. There is one that puts about 6 or 8 families on a page printed in landscape. It lists all the children. But the box is big enough that I could make notes of things for each family as he told me in my "initial briefing." I still have that list and refer to it once in a while.

Secondly, he kept a file on those he was working with as far as disciplinary actions of the informal kind. We reviewed those. That file is locked in the bishops desk drawer that only me and my counselors have a key to, and consists of handwritten notes. I have asked my counselors not to get into that drawer unless I tell them to go there and get something. So far they haven't needed to.

I plan to follow a similar thing when I am released. in 2 years and 10 months. :)

Putting it on their membership record (if you could even do that,) or anyplace on the clerks computer leaves open the possibility of others getting in to see the information.

Help him to keep it more private.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

TinMan,

Isn't there a section of the Leader.lds.org area that has notes you can keep for items like this? I'm a clerk so I've never seen it (Leader/ExecSec - have access) but that might be an option.... does anyone know if that data transfers with a unit leader change?
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

JohnShaw wrote:Isn't there a section of the Leader.lds.org area that has notes you can keep for items like this?

No, and there probably should not be. TinMan has outlined one of the best methods I have ever seen or used.

Whatever the method, the outgoing leader gives the incoming leader any personal/confidential information he wishes to share, either during a brief visit or in writing, and the new leader then decides what he needs to do with them. And from time to time for a short while after the transition, the new leader may ask the former leader a question about a specific member.

Although the longer the new leader waits, the more likely the answer will be, "I am sorry, but I have been blessed not to remember anything about that any more."
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

One comment about the general topic. It is likely that carrying the information from one bishop to another about a particular family might server to be a bad idea. In cases that are not related to Church Discipline, there are just people that don't click, there are Bishops who form incorrect opinions, or hurt feelings exist that might not carry forward to a new bishop, etc... I believe my Stake President advises new Bishops to take this type of information with a healthy perspective. How would you feel if a Bishop labeled you in some way, and that label carried forward to a new Bishop... there is a possible 10 year stigma associated with you that you likely know nothing about.

Just a thought.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

JohnShaw: Among the bishops in our Stake, there are two schools of thought:

1. It is good to let the bishop know what you know about the families, and tell him to take it with a grain of salt.
2. Let the new bishop find out things for himself.

We have had bishops do both. I am glad my bishop took the first tactic. My friends who had the bishop take the second tactic have for the most part, regretted it.

Again. I agree. It is dangerous, I think to have these type of notes anywhere electronic where others can see them. My list is hidden in a yellow notepad and hidden in a place in my briefcase that goes back and forth to church with me. No one will every see them. Accidentally or otherwise. If I sign onto the ward computer with my Sign in and get distracted, there is a chance that someone could see my notes. I don't want that to happen

lajackson: Because of what I said above, I have not had to counsel with the previous bishop about individuals even once. Just policy type questions.

It is fun to sit on the stand as new callings are announced and watch the former bishop either nod his head or grimace. :)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

TinMan wrote:Among the bishops in our Stake, there are two schools of thought:

1. It is good to let the bishop know what you know about the families, and tell him to take it with a grain of salt.
2. Let the new bishop find out things for himself.

I think both apply. The question is how "far down" or detailed do you get? If there's informal disciplinary action, that should fall into #1. If it's just vague unease with no knowledge, it seems like it should fall under #2.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

TinMan wrote:It is fun to sit on the stand as new callings are announced and watch the former bishop either nod his head or grimace. :)

I know the feeling. But the new bishop now has the keys.

I always tried to keep a straight face as I sustained one or two suspicious folks, with a prayer in my heart that the new bishops knew what they were doing and that their counselors agreed. The Spirit was always quick to put me at ease. It is fun to watch from either direction.

As I served, I never, ever got in trouble when I listened to my counselors.
lehrschallbrian

Post by lehrschallbrian »

My old bishop kept personal and confidential notes in a spreadsheet he updated and give it to the new bishop

Return to “Membership Help”