Russian Church website requires authenticaton?

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
dobrichelovek

Russian Church website requires authenticaton?

Post by dobrichelovek »

I was trying to check the Russian version of the church website and it is asking me for authentication. I don't think this is supposed to be happening. Is there a way to get a message to our friends in the Moscow Service Center regarding the website, or is something else going on?
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

It shouldn't be asking for authentication. I will forward a message to the engineers at Church Headquarters to get this fixed.
dobrichelovek

Site update?

Post by dobrichelovek »

DJC wrote:It shouldn't be asking for authentication. I will forward a message to the engineers at Church Headquarters to get this fixed.

The Russian version of LDS.org still is asking for authentication. I am wondering if this is a planned upgrade to bring it in line with the dynamic nature of the English/HQ version of the website.?. :confused: Any way to confirm this or has anyone noticed that any other regional websites are also currently inaccessible?

Are we looking at progress in progress?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Where are you going to? I've tried to Google for the site, and I've tried to change the language of the lds.org site, but I guess I can't recognize Russian when I see it.
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

The country sites are off of lds.org off of the About the Church link. It appears that Russian is the only site having the problem. I will forward this problem on again.
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

For those curious of the URL:
http://www.latter-daysaints.ru/
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

That URL brings up a dialog box labeled 'Prompt'.

It then says 'Enter username and password for 'Welcome to latter-daysaints.ru' at http://www.latter-daysaints.ru". Then you see the standard Windows username and password boxes and a password manager checkbox, etc.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Posted too soon, there's more info got another error message after closing the 'prompt' dialog that may also tell something related to the first.

Authorization Required
This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

Apache/1.3.34 Server at http://www.latter-daysaints.ru Port 80
dobrichelovek

New Russian Website is up.

Post by dobrichelovek »

Looks like the website was being renovated and the new version is up. Different look from what we see on the English version of lds.org, but not bad. Much more dynamic. I'm curious, is this being done completely independently from the HQ tech group, just using the same worldwide standards, or are the people involved just not using the tech.lds.org website?

Check it out! http://www.latter-daysaints.ru

Music and Scriptures now point to the main lds.org site, so when Russian language is added to those main locations, it will be right.
dobrichelovek

Russian Church site pointing to Wikipedia?

Post by dobrichelovek »

So, to my earlier query, the Russian website is obviously not following the same design as the main site. I was just on there and the Russian site has links to Wikipedia (In Russian) when it references the Book of Mormon.

The web page I am referring to is here and the Russian phrase for Book of Mormon is Книга Мормона although I am sure that a quick look at the source would show the links just as easily.

I just can't imagine that church policies on the lds.org site would allow for such unstable external references to one of the keystones of our faith. If I am correct, then there is a breakdown in communication between policy and implementation of regional sites. I can handle other countries doing things a little differently than HQ, but this is one issue that I think may have slipped through the cracks. It would of course, help if the new Russian translation of the BoM was finalized and released including digitally. I'd love to see it up on the beta scriptures site.

Return to “Main Church Website”