Glitch in Program

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
mylescjones

Glitch in Program

Post by mylescjones »

I serve as a Stake Trainer for learning how to use the Family History Programs.
When you go to lds.org and then go to "Resources", then under "Family" go to "Family History" , now click on "Getting Started" it say's " discover your family tree and learn how to prepare a name for the temple in five easy steps". When you click on any of the five steps you do not get that step! You get "Youth and Fasmily History".
Here you can again see the five steps and now if you click on the step you want you can watch the video. This is confusing especially to senior members that are trying to follow the five easy steps. Please see if you can set up the program so when you see the "five easy steps" the first time you can get the one you want to see with one click.
Thanks ! Myles C. Jones
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

[Moderator note: This thread was split into two threads to address each topic separately. See the Code of Conduct about addressing one topic per thread. The second topic can be found in the thread Glitch in Program - download videos.]
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

mylescjones wrote:When you go to lds.org and then go to "Resources", then under "Family" go to "Family History" , now click on "Getting Started" it say's " discover your family tree and learn how to prepare a name for the temple in five easy steps". When you click on any of the five steps you do not get that step! You get "Youth and Fasmily History".
I followed your steps to the video and it did play the video as it should. However, I will note that before the video was played the page Youth and Family History did appear briefly before the video began. It appears the link to the video opens the Youth and Family History page to access the video because once I closed the video the current page displayed was Youth and Family History.

I agree that it would be better if the video would just play without going to the page Youth and Family History.

I tested this using the Firefox, IE8, and Chrome and found that the issue you describe only occurred with IE8. In the LDSTech article Recommended Browsers for LDS.org Tools they recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mylescjones wrote:When you go to lds.org and then go to "Resources", then under "Family" go to "Family History" , now click on "Getting Started" it say's " discover your family tree and learn how to prepare a name for the temple in five easy steps". When you click on any of the five steps you do not get that step! You get "Youth and Fasmily History".

When I click on any of the links I am taken directly to the appropriate video. So for me it is working just fine in Firefox. It also works fine in Chrome. But when I tried it in Internet Explorer 9, it the video didn't popup, and so there was indeed one extra click required. So it looks like an adjustment needs to be made for IE.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

aebrown wrote:when I tried it in Internet Explorer 9, it the video didn't popup, and so there was indeed one extra click required. So it looks like an adjustment needs to be made for IE.

This has now been fixed.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
mylescjones

Post by mylescjones »

Program still does not work right on my computer, or any of the computers at the Family Search Center. You still have to go through "Youth and Family History" to get to the "Getting Started" videos.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mylescjones wrote:Program still does not work right on my computer, or any of the computers at the Family Search Center. You still have to go through "Youth and Family History" to get to the "Getting Started" videos.
I just tested this again, and discovered that I only did an 80% test before I declared that it had been fixed. It looks like videos 2, 3, 4, and 5 now work fine, but video 1 still has the same problem -- note that this is still only a problem with Internet Explorer.

I'll report it again.

Return to “Main Church Website”