Why use Classic.lds.org?

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

johnsonth,

It is interesting to me the terms used in your response, may or may not be implemented, evaluated and given more consideration. I've often wondered where these solutions come from. There seem to be plenty of what those of us in the field (end users, the group the system is designed to be used by) that are BIG misses. Who are these people who say, the End users want THis.... I can tell by this thread that a majority of people wanted a ward/stake landing page. Who/how/why was it decided that we don't need one of those.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

We've used the Classic "News and Information" part to store some information and forms used by the stake. It's come to my attention that the help file for the new Newsletter function indicates that newsletters only last one year.

Short of having to re-upload everything every year, is there some other way for the stake to make these things available on-line while staying within the Handbook?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:We've used the Classic "News and Information" part to store some information and forms used by the stake. It's come to my attention that the help file for the new Newsletter function indicates that newsletters only last one year.

That's not exactly what it says. The Privacy Guidelines section (to which you are clearly referring) says:
To avoid potential claims under various data privacy laws, newsletters may not be retained longer than a year.
That certainly doesn't say anything about what the system will automatically do; although one might try to infer that, I certainly wouldn't choose the word "may" if I were trying to describe an automatic function.

Also, the term "newsletters" doesn't seem to be used anywhere else in the help system. Whenever the term "newsletter" is used, it refers to the application. Thus the plural makes no sense, and so its use in this context is therefore ambiguous. Is the term "newsletters" in this context simply a synonym for "articles"? That's a possibility, but by no means certain.

Or does it refer to a certain kind of article that actually contains news of the ward and stake which most likely refers to people? That's certainly a possibility, given that this statement is in the Privacy Guidelines section. It's tough to imagine that an article that describes how to download and fill out a reimbursement form could run afoul of privacy laws, so how could that section apply to such an article?

Of course this discussion also hinges on the question of whether the word "may" means that stake and ward leaders are responsible for enforcing this policy, or whether the application itself enforces the policy. That's not clear either.

It would be nice to get a clarification on these points. Multiple posts on this forum make it clear that some wards and stakes are trying to formulate a plan for the kind of content they want to upload to the Newsletter and how to organize it. It's tough to make these plans when there are ambiguous statements that might mean that certain strategies would not work longer than a year.
RussellHltn wrote:Short of having to re-upload everything every year, is there some other way for the stake to make these things available on-line while staying within the Handbook?
Some of the possible interpretations of that statement in the Privacy Guidelines would certainly allow for wards and stakes to make forms available online without causing any problems with Handbook policies. But we need more clarification.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

In the past whenever I edited an article the date of the article was updated to the edit date. Now it appears that regardless of the edit, to include removing attachments and reattaching them, the original article creation date stays with the article. Therefore the only way now to update an article is to completely remove it and then recreate it.

I guess we will only know what happens to an article after a year is to wait and see.

When an attachment is included or an image impeded with an article the checkbox for the User Agreement must be checked to save the article. That agreement says this:
By providing content and photos I acknowledge that: 1) I am the author and owner of the content and photos; and 2) I have the permission of all individuals noted or portrayed in the content and photos to share the content and photos in the Ward/Branch Newsletter (or if the individual is a minor, that I have obtained the permission of the parent or guardian of the minor to share such content)
This leads me to believe that at least an article with attachments or imbedded images may be removed after a year since only attachments or imbedded images trigger the need to check the User Agreement.

There is no evidence that an article without attachments or imbedded images will be removed after a year.

As I read the privacy guidelines in the help I get the impression they have used newsletter and newsletters synonymously with article and articles.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:In the past whenever I edited an article the date of the article was updated to the edit date. Now it appears that regardless of the edit, to include removing attachments and reattaching them, the original article creation date stays with the article. Therefore the only way now to update an article is to completely remove it and then recreate it.
I reported this issue during the beta in the thread Ordering of articles based on edit date, not creation date (on 22 Feb 2012). And indeed, in version 1.1 of the Newsletter (released 6 Mar 2012), it was fixed so that the creation date (not the editing date) was used for ordering articles (see this post). The erratic behavior of ordering by edit date only lasted a couple of weeks and has not happened for over 6 months.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Sorry Alan I completely changed my post after some more detailed testing.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:That certainly doesn't say anything about what the system will automatically do; although one might try to infer that, I certainly wouldn't choose the word "may" if I were trying to describe an automatic function.

I believe "may" reflects that different countries have different laws and what would happen depends on some setting made by the area office. Much like the difference between opt-in and opt-out for the directory. If my guess is correct, then we need is some kind of indicator in the application to let us know what the setting is and not just surprise everyone after a year. Perhaps some verbiage on the article submission page would be a good place for it.

Were it to be guidance to the unit admin, I'd expect the wording to be different.'

More light and knowledge would certainly be welcome.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:There is no evidence that an article without attachments or imbedded images will be removed after a year.

I understand the position you've set forth and can see the logic to it, but I'm not seeing any evidence that it does work that way. We'll have to find out from the developers.

aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:This leads me to believe that at least an article with attachments or imbedded images may be removed after a year since only attachments or imbedded images trigger the need to check the User Agreement.

That seems like quite a leap in logic. Yes, articles with attachments or embedded images trigger the need to check the User Agreement; that's nothing new. But I see no evidence in the way the Newsletter application works or in the documentation that would lead me to conclude that such articles are precisely those that are referred to in that statement in the Privacy Guidelines about some sort of one year deadline.
jdlessley wrote:There is no evidence that an article without attachments or imbedded images will be removed after a year.

There is also no evidence that an article without such attachments or images will not be removed after a year, nor any evidence that articles with such attachments or images will or will not be removed after a year. There is no evidence at all. There is only speculation that some of us have made about the meaning of an oddly worded statement in the Newsletter help system. I can't prove any of that speculation right or wrong.
jdlessley wrote:I guess we will only know what happens to an article after a year is to wait and see.

Unless we get more clarity from some Church employee, that will definitely be the case.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”