Distributing Tithing Report BEFORE Tithing Settlement

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
douggw

Distributing Tithing Report BEFORE Tithing Settlement

Post by douggw »

In the online video training for finance clerks, it mentions that the individual tithing statements should be distributed about a month BEFORE the actual tithing settlement. As a new finance clerk, I was just wondering if others do this and then distribute another statement when the individual comes in for tithing settlement, to show any donations made during the month or so in between the two statement dates.
Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

douggw wrote:As a new finance clerk, I was just wondering if others do this and then distribute another statement when the individual comes in for tithing settlement, to show any donations made during the month or so in between the two statement dates.

Yes, I believe that's how most do it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

douggw wrote:In the online video training for finance clerks, it mentions that the individual tithing statements should be distributed about a month BEFORE the actual tithing settlement. As a new finance clerk, I was just wondering if others do this and then distribute another statement when the individual comes in for tithing settlement, to show any donations made during the month or so in between the two statement dates.

These are two different statements, distributed at different times for slightly different purposes:
  • The Year-to-Date Donation Summary is distributed a month or so before tithing settlement to help members prepare for tithing settlement.
  • The Tithing Settlement Statement is printed at tithing settlement, usually on the day of a member's appointment for tithing settlement.
And yes, every ward I've been in for the last 20 years or so has created both statements. The first goes to every donor; the second goes to every person who attends tithing settlement.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

aebrown wrote:These are two different statements, distributed at different times for slightly different purposes:

• The Year-to-Date Donation Summary is distributed a month or so before tithing settlement to help members prepare for tithing settlement.
  • The Tithing Settlement Statement is printed at tithing settlement, usually on the day of a member's appointment for tithing settlement.
And yes, every ward I've been in for the last 20 years or so has created both statements. The first goes to every donor; the second goes to every person who attends tithing settlement.
I thought there were 3. The last being the official year-end statement issued in January that many use for tax purposes.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Mikerowaved wrote:I thought there were 3. The last being the official year-end statement issued in January that many use for tax purposes.
Yes, that's certainly true, but the topic of the original post was the statements distributed up through tithing settlement, so that's all I addressed.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
waynecooke

Post by waynecooke »

And part of the reason for the "early" distribution is so that the members have a chance before Tithing Settlement to go over their records and see how they compare with the Church's. One thing they can look at is to see if they are "up to date" with their contributions, and also to see that all their contributions have been correctly credited to their account, rather than, for example, to a son in the Ward with a very similar name.

I have done this every year I have been Financial Clerk, and all the members seem to appreciate it. I usually hand out as many as possible at Sacrament Meeting for a couple of weeks, then mail the balance.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”