Negative Balance in Fast Offering Category

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
brandonreed08

Negative Balance in Fast Offering Category

Post by brandonreed08 »

Problem:
There has been the same negative beginning and ending balance in the "Fast Offering:Housing-Fast Offering Expenditures" Subcategory since December 2008. I am a new financial clerk and I am unsure of how to zero out this account.

Useful Background Information:
1) As far as I can tell the negative balance originated from transfers that occurred on December 31, 2008. From viewing the "Income and Expense Summary" and transfers on this date there were debits made from "Fast Offering: Housing-Fast Offering Expenditures", "Fast Offerings", and "Tithing" accounts and credits into "Other: Authorized Member-Financed Activities", "Ward Missionary Fund", and "Budget" accounts. The comment listed was "Balance Forward". The debits were less than the credits in these transfers. There is no other financial data present in MLS prior to these transfers and there is no Income nor Expenses entered on December 31, 2008. When the accounts are swept by the Stake/Church Headquarters each week the negative balances and positive balances have remained unaffected through several years.

2) In September 2010, the month prior to CUBS going into operation, it appears that the financial clerk eliminated the recurring imbalances in all the accounts but the "Fast Offering: Housing-Fast Offering Expenditures" account. This corrections were accomplished by adjusting the transfers made to church headquarters, transferring less for accounts with positive beginning balances and transferring more for accounts with negative beginning balances . This operation can no longer be done since CUBS has gone into operation and the transfers are so automated.

3) Although there are financial statements for this time period I am hesitant to use them to attempt to enter financial that might be missing from MLS for this time period. This hesitation comes on account of the remarkable differences between the financials in MLS and the Financial Statements for 2009-2011. We also do not have the 2008 physical copy records since they are older than 3 years.

Any help/comments would be appreciated.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

brandonreed08 wrote:Problem:
There has been the same negative beginning and ending balance in the "Fast Offering:Housing-Fast Offering Expenditures" Subcategory since December 2008. I am a new financial clerk and I am unsure of how to zero out this account.
Contact Local Unit Support (LUS). There is nothing you can do locally.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
brandonreed08

Post by brandonreed08 »

jdlessley wrote:Contact Local Unit Support (LUS). There is nothing you can do locally.

Thanks for your reply. I just sent them an email message. I will give them a call if I don't hear back after a few days.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”