Use of Meetinghouse for Homeschool Activities

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
mwgrover

Use of Meetinghouse for Homeschool Activities

Post by mwgrover »

Within the two wards that meet in our building, there are several families who homeschool their children. They would like to use the building on an occasional basis - maybe once per quarter - for a combined activity for their children.

At some point, I thought I remembered reading a guideline that stated that our meetinghouses were not to be used for homeschool activities. However, I have searched both Handbook 1 and 2 and on lds.org and in this forum and cannot find anything like that. Just wondering if anyone knows if these would be approved activities or not. It seems like I remember it being not approved due to concerns about tax-exempt status, etc.

Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Using Google I found the following: From the FM Guidelines 2011, page 3:
While the Church strongly encourages education, meetinghouses should not be used as home school or day care facilities or for hosting home school activities. Adherence to this policy will promote safety and avoid tax liabilities for the Church.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mwgrover

Post by mwgrover »

Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for.
Amoraroca

Re: Use of Meetinghouse for Homeschool Activities

Post by Amoraroca »

If the homeschool does not charge any to it's participants, Taxes are not a an issue, in most states. How is it any less safe than kids coming in the building with their families for any other activity, since homeschool parents stay with their kids? Some homeschool groups do charge, but they usually do that to pay for a building.
Daycare's I totally understand, but homeschools are 100% different than daycare's or even regular schools.
Here in Ky. homeschools are often an only option for people who cannot afford private school. So allowing homeschools in, can be helping those who often are struggling financially, emotionally, and around here LDS churche's are THE ONLY churches who do not allow homeschools in. It makes us look like rich "to good for you" people.
I could guarantee getting 20 Non-members walking through the doors of the church each week, if I was allowed to organize a homeschool group there. Or I have to go and asks other churches to allow me to use their buildings. What am I suppose to tell them when they ask me what church I go to, and why they will not allow homeschool groups? I want to protect the church, but I will be honest, as tactfully as I can.
Or I can join a different homeschool group in my area and sign a "Faith Creed" Saying things I don't 100% feel demonstrate a good understanding of God.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

This is primarily a user-to-user support forum. There are no decision-makers here. As far as this forum is concerned, it's against policy.

To get a better explanation or seek an exception to the policy, you'll need to talk to your stake president about taking the issue up with the area authority.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jacoballred

Post by jacoballred »

Check the most recent manual, it actually may offer homeschool friendly updates with President Nelson making so many administrative changes.

As an added caution; bishops, stake presidents, high counselors, and area authorities should consider making an extra effort to put their pro government school bias aside and remember whose church this really is.

Showing more love, understanding, consideration, and appreciation for the sacrifices homeschool parents make will go a long way in living as Christ lived. Instead of looking for resources to support your pre-meditated decision to say “no” to homeschoolers, maybe call one as a counselor or a bishop, or a stake president or just look for opportunities and resources so you can say “yes” to those families who homeschool in your stewardship.

Christ was homeschooled. Joseph Smith Jr. Was homeschooled. George Washington was homeschooled. Abraham Lincoln was homeschooled and friend to Joseph Smith Jr. the prophet. Many of the original leadership of the restored gospel was homeschooled. Let’s not turn Christ’s church into to the strong arm of the government that has fought the restored gospel from its conception here folks.

Brigham Young gave a prophetic warning against use of government schools. In the D&C Joseph Smith Jr. And early leaders of the church were chastised for not teaching their children.
Amoraroca

Post by Amoraroca »

There is a more recent manual? One made since President Nelson has been the Prophet? I am unsure if I can find it. Could you post a link?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jacoballred wrote:Check the most recent manual, it actually may offer homeschool friendly updates with President Nelson making so many administrative changes.
Yes, it does sometimes change, but Handbook 2: 21.2 still prohibit a number of things that could include home school. It also refers to the Facilities Management Guidelines for Meetinghouses and Other Church Property which still specifically prohibits home schooling in church buildings.

While I'm far from an expert on the subject, religions and schools are different sections of the non-profit tax code. Both the Handbook and the Management Guidelines indicate that the rules exist because of tax laws.

It's my observation that the church is careful stay focused on it's mission and not allow "scope creep". As such, it's not likely to branch out into public education beyond BYU/Seminary in any country that does have a working public education system.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Handbook 2 is on-line and continuously updated. Last update was 3/19.

The Facilities Management Guidelines for Meetinghouses and Other Church Property was found in the Callings area and is dated "11/09" but based on the copyright date, I think it means Sept 2011, not Nov 2009.

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Another thread prompted me to go back and find this discussion I remembered seeing. Updating to note that as of Oct 2023, the blurb from the FM Guidelines that russellhltn posted, is now included in GHB 35.5.6.2. So it's now official, which was a main aspect of the discussion in this thread.

Return to “General Discussions”