How long before calendar email subscriptions take place?

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
mmarx

How long before calendar email subscriptions take place?

Post by mmarx »

I'm having some issues with members who have subscribed for email reminders recently. They have not been receiving emails for these calendars yet. I'm wondering if there is a time lag before their subscriptions take effect?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Three questions:
1) Did they subscribe to the emails?
2) Are the calendar editors sending any emails?
3) Have the members checked their spam folders?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mmarx

Post by mmarx »

I have personally looked into 2 of these people's accounts. They have subscribed. Editors are sending out emails because myself and others in the ward are getting them. They have checked their spam boxes. Both of these people just recently signed up in the past 3 days. So that's why I'm wondering if it takes several days for the email addresses to take to the system?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mmarx wrote:I have personally looked into 2 of these people's accounts. They have subscribed.

In addition to making sure they have subscribed to the calendars in question, have you made sure that:
  • They have enabled notifications for each calendar (the check box by each calendar on the Subscriptions page is checked); and
  • Their overall notifications are turned on (the check box by "Allow email reminders for calendar events" on the Options page is checked).
mmarx wrote:Both of these people just recently signed up in the past 3 days. So that's why I'm wondering if it takes several days for the email addresses to take to the system?
What do you mean by "signed up"? That they have a new LDS Account? Or that they visited the Calendar for the first time recently?

I've never heard of any delay at all in this particular regard; everything related to the Calendar is immediate, except for the granting of rights based on a calling.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:Their overall notifications are turned on (the check box by "Allow email reminders for calendar events" on the Options page is checked).
I believe that if that's not checked, then the notifications for each calendar is grayed out. But some people may not spot the difference between "checked but grayed out" and just "checked" on the subscription page.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:I believe that if that's not checked, then the notifications for each calendar is grayed out. But some people may not spot the difference between "checked but grayed out" and just "checked" on the subscription page.
Correct on both counts. That's why I mentioned both possibilities.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
failproof

Post by failproof »

mmarx wrote:...Editors are sending out emails because myself and others in the ward are getting them...

I am not sure about this, but there is a chance that default administrators will get email messages without calendar editors checking the option to send emails for an event. So the fact that you and others are getting an email may just mean that those of you who are getting them are administrators and you are being informed by the system that an event was added.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

failproof wrote:I am not sure about this, but there is a chance that default administrators will get email messages without calendar editors checking the option to send emails for an event. So the fact that you and others are getting an email may just mean that those of you who are getting them are administrators and you are being informed by the system that an event was added.

I'd a default admin for the stake. I only get emails when a new calendar is created. I don't think I've ever gotten a email for an added event.

mmarx

Post by mmarx »

Okay. You're right. All of the people who were getting email reminders are administrators. I checked into it and the people not getting email reminders didn't have "allow email reminders" checked on their options page. I totally missed that step! I assumed since the "allow email subscriptions" box was checked on the subscriptions page that it was ready to go even though it was grayed out. I have tried to find some instructions on how to sign up for email subscriptions but have only found how to create calendar events. Is there some documentation on this because it's a bit confusing.

Thanks for your help!
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

mmarx, I'm glad you were able to get things sorted out. You can find information about managing your calendar e-mail notifications here: https://ue.ldschurch.org/ldsapphelp/calendar/#main_topics/managing_e-mail_notifications.htm.

Return to “Calendar”