Other Category tithing

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
pgm44
Location: Philippines, Cagayan de Oro city, Northern Mindanao

Other Category tithing

Post by pgm44 »

A while ago I read some about other categorizes in the tithing-slip.
I can not find anymore where. So here is my question.
Our bishop want that members who like to go to the temple next year start to save money via the Other Category in the tithing-slips. The reason for this is, that most of our members can not afford to pay a big amount in one time. A return ticket Cagayan de Oro – Cebu cost about 2500 peso (60 $). Who can explain me how to do this. Where is the money deposit and how can the bishop withdraw it later.

Thanks in advance.
PGM
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I am going to assume you are using MLS to record tithing and other donations. If you are not using MLS then you should follow the procedures provided by your Area Office.

What you are referring to is the use of the Other:Authorized Member Financed Activities category in MLS, sometimes referred to as Other:AMFA or just AMFA.

The use of the Other:AMFA category is appropriate if you are planning group trips to the temple and are going to pay for the expenses related to that trip from funds collected from the members who will be participating. For this situation you would create in MLS a subcategory under the Other:AMFA category for each trip. Specific instructions on how to create categories can be found in MLS Help. More information about the Other category is found in the wiki article Other category.

For example, if there will be a trip planned for May 2013 you could create and name the subcategory "May 2013 Temple Trip". Members who will participate will make contributions for the trip by filling out a Tithing and Other Offerings slip. On that slip they would write in the name of the category (in this case "May 2013 Temple Trip") in the box labeled "Other (specify)" and the amount entered in the column to the right.

All funds collected using the Tithing and Other Offerings slip are processed and recorded in MLS according to the instructions found in the wiki article Donations. Essentially the funds for the temple trip will be recorded in MLS using the donation category you created and will be listed when you click "Other". (Note: The category will have to be set up before any donations can be deposited to that category.) The money will be taken to the bank along with the tithing, fast offerings, and all other donations.

Funds are withdrawn from the ward's account by following the procedures found in the wiki article Expenses.

I hope this overview helps. If you have any further questions feel free to ask. We are here to help.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

Sounds like another element of the question is how do members contribute and list it on the donation slips. I would instruct members to list the amount on the donation slip in the row marked "OTHER" then have them write "Temple Trip" in the blank next to the word "Other".

As explained above, the clerk could create a subcategory under AMFA called "Temple Trip". When you are processing a donation batch just deposit anything marked "Temple Trip" on the donation slips into that subcategory. You will also be able run run reports to track who contributed and the amounts.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

wrigjef wrote:Sounds like another element of the question is how do members contribute and list it on the donation slips.
See paragraph four in my response in post #2. If there are going to be more than one trip planned in the year then the Other:AMFA subcategory needs to have more than just the title "Temple Trip" to differentiate which temple trip the donation is to be applied.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
greggo

Post by greggo »

I just wanted to point out that if a donor, for whatever reason, doesn't end up making the trip for which the funds are to be used, the donor can and should be reimbursed from the AMFA category the amount that was donated.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”