Networking options

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
aebrown
Community Administrator

Networking options

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:Most chapels (even those with wireless) should have a hard wired Ethernet connection. Since you are the STS and may not be aware of one, check with the FM group and see if they snuck it in while you weren't looking. Or just check inside the pulpit.
I wonder where you came up with that "most" claim. None of the buildings in my stake have a wired Ethernet connection in the chapel. In older buildings I would think that wired Ethernet connections would be relatively rare, but I have no data other than my stake's experience of 0 such connections.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aebrown wrote:I wonder where you came up with that "most" claim.

Our FM group was instructed to wire first and wireless later, and they have done it throughout this area. They told us they thought these same instructions were sent to all FM groups (I only have their comment on that, so I do not know for sure). When they started putting in wireless in one building, we discovered that it had been hard wired for over a year, but no one had told us. I based my comment on that experience, thinking it would at least be worth a look for cambene.

So "Most . . . should" seemed a reasonable description, with emphasis on "should", and "most" defined as anything over 50%.

Then again, my experience is with the stakes in this area, where almost all of the rest of the buildings are also hardwired, just as your experience is with your stake, where it appears this has not happened.
genman

Post by genman »

If your chapel is not hardwired already, you could measure how far it is from wherever your router is located to the stand in the chapel, and get that length or more of ethernet chord. That's what we do as a stopgap as we wait for the FM group to wire the chapel and/or install wireless repeaters throughout the building. That is useful for internet webcasts too.

Having an ethernet chord strung down the floor of the hallway and into the chapel is not pretty, but it works. You do what you have to do.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

lajackson wrote:Our FM group was instructed to wire first and wireless later, and they have done it throughout this area. They told us they thought these same instructions were sent to all FM groups (I only have their comment on that, so I do not know for sure). When they started putting in wireless in one building, we discovered that it had been hard wired for over a year, but no one had told us. I based my comment on that experience, thinking it would at least be worth a look for cambene.

So "Most . . . should" seemed a reasonable description, with emphasis on "should", and "most" defined as anything over 50%.

Then again, my experience is with the stakes in this area, where almost all of the rest of the buildings are also hardwired, just as your experience is with your stake, where it appears this has not happened.
It'll never happen in my Stake, my FM believes his duty is to deliver Wireless only to provide access to browse the Internet Only and only in a small portion of the meethinghouse where leadership can use it. I'm glad that I covered our buildings in Wireless in 2010, we at least have the Cisco 'g' access in our meetinghouses, but it does't do us much good with the poor Internet speeds that we are not able to upgrade because of FMG budget concerns.

The differences between how FM is implementing whatever it is they are supposed to implement is very disconcerting.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

JohnShaw wrote:It'll never happen in my Stake, my FM believes his duty is to deliver Wireless only to provide access to browse the Internet Only and only in a small portion of the meethinghouse where leadership can use it.

Just today, the stakes in our FM group received a message reminding us to test satellite systems for October conferences. In that message, among other things, the FM said:
1. The Church has asked Facility Managers to make sure that all chapels are hard wired to the internet. Receiving a broadcast through a wifi system is a bonus option, but is not considered to be as reliable as the hard wire. If your building has satellite, that is the best option for General Conference.
This may not be of any help where you are located, but it appears this is the reason our FM group wired the chapels up front.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I believe the Church has instructed FM to hard wire Chapels, RS, Clerk, Library (where standing equipment is located) FHC (if applicable), cultural hall. I've seen this in the training online for FMG/STS, and in some FMG documents (2 different docs). Here is my take on it. Some FMG's unwilling, having different priorities, lacking interest, or whatever the reason have not being using the years 2011/2012 to implement the meetinghouse technology plans, now that they've waited until 2013 to do it all, they are limiting the scope.
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

This is where powerline Ethernet adapters can be very handy.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ulupoi wrote:This is where powerline Ethernet adapters can be very handy.

The reliability is somewhere around wireless. All it takes is one noisy device being plugged in and you're toast.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

It's worked great for me both at church and at home. You need to have both devices plugged into the same power circuit. YMMV, but it's definitely worth a try. The old 85 Mbps adapters are really cheap now, and they are plenty fast enough for church use.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

They still rely on wireless, when doing events, one of the primary steps to success is to eliminate wireless to limit issues related to bandwidth being taken by numbers of members in attendance. I don't disagree that it can be useful in circumstances, but I'd never want to upload or download stake conference or any stake meeting for that matter on the device.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”