Email opt out

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
brib111

Email opt out

Post by brib111 »

Our bishop is trying to send a message to all of the members of our ward council. When he clicks on the send message, then on the group ward council, it comes up that 3 members have opted out or do not have email addresses.

In the MLS all of these leaders have emails, and their visibility is set at Private. Does that mean that they won't receive emails from the bishop?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

[Moderator Note: I moved this thread to the Leader and Clerk Resource section, which was more appropriate than Links and Resources.]

Yes, if you use the Send a Message feature, the visibility setting controls whether people receive emails. I think that's odd, given that the "Private" setting says "Leadership Only" and since the bishop is sending the message, that shouldn't mean that they are excluded. But that's the way it works right now.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
genman

Post by genman »

Not only does "Private - Leadership Only" prevent them from getting the Send A Message email, but also "Ward-Only Visibility" will prevent them from getting the email. It appears that they have to leave it at the default "Stake Visibility" in order to get any Send A Message emails. I have reported this bug.
tclubb

Post by tclubb »

I am the Bishop of my Ward and when I have tried sending an email to either individuals or groups (EQ, HP) some of the individuals I get this message "recipients have opted out or do not have an email address in Ward Directory / MLS". When I go to the directory and check the email status I noticed the ones that have their email setting set to “Ward” or Private (Leadership only) get this message. I conducted an informal low tech test to prove my theory and had one of the members change their status from ward visibility to stake visibility and I was able to send them an email. But when their status was at ward or private (Leadership only), I was not able to send them an email and received the same message “recipients have opted out or do not have an email address in Ward Directory / MLS”.

Is this an error in the system or is it intended to be this way?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

(Moderator note: Post #4 was moved from the "Send A Message" - unable to send to all members thread which addresses unknown email addresses.)
tclubb wrote:Is this an error in the system or is it intended to be this way?
Since your post was moved you may not have read this thread. Note that others are experiencing this issue and that is a bug.[/font]https://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?12881-Send-A-Message-unable-to-send-to-all-members
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
tclubb

Post by tclubb »

Thank you. I didn't realize it was moved and thought I did something wrong and reposted the message again.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

tclubb wrote:Thank you. I didn't realize it was moved and thought I did something wrong and reposted the message again.
That repost has been deleted.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”