"Phantom" Calendar Items

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
dfchamplain

"Phantom" Calendar Items

Post by dfchamplain »

I am trying to edit a current event that is scheduled for the entire day instead of the respected time. When I go to the location and pick the location (which happens to be a church building), I am allowed to select different rooms to use. After I am done with editing the event, I click on the update event button. I then receive a notice that there is a scheduling conflict for the Cultural Hall. I have used every view available (Agenda, Week, Month) to try and find the scheduling conflict. I have all the locations in the week view check marked as well. Needless to say, I cannot find this "supposed" conflict event. The notice does tell me to contact the building scheduler, but I don't want to do that for each "phantom" event I cannot see.

Does anyone have any ideas to resolve this issue?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

dfchamplain wrote:I have used every view available (Agenda, Week, Month) to try and find the scheduling conflict.
Members and editors of a ward can only view their ward's calendars and their stake calendars. You want to see all events and all reservations scheduled at the location and not just those events for your ward's calendars to which you have subscribed.

Follow these steps to view all events and reservations at a location:
  1. Click Week near the top of the calendar to switch to the Week view. (The Month view does not show reservations, nor does it show events for calendars not listed in your Subscribed Calendars list.)
  2. Under Subscribed Calendars, click Hide all calendars to hide the calendars from view. This will declutter the calendar so you can better see what events and are taking place at each location.
  3. In the sidebar, under Locations, select a check box next to the location whose events and reservations you want to see. (Other locations should not be checked.)
dfchamplain wrote:I have all the locations in the week view check marked as well.
Only select the location for which you want to see the events and reservations. Having others selected unnecessarily clutters the calendar and may hide the one event or reservation you need to see that is the conflict.
dfchamplain wrote:I cannot find this "supposed" conflict event.
If you follow the procedure described you should be able to find the conflicting event or conflicting reservation.

When you follow the procedures described you will not only see all events but you will also see all reservations. Events for any ward that has scheduled one at the location can be a conflict. Reservations will also cause conflicts when scheduling an event. It is possible you did not see a conflicting event from an unsubscribed calendar, another ward's calendar, or a reservation using the method you described.

The building scheduler should be able to help you with a reservation conflict.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
dfchamplain

Post by dfchamplain »

jdlessley wrote:Members and editors of a ward can only view their ward's calendars and their stake calendars. You want to see all events and all reservations scheduled at the location and not just those events for your ward's calendars to which you have subscribed.

Follow these steps to view all events and reservations at a location:
  1. Click Week near the top of the calendar to switch to the Week view. (The Month view does not show reservations, nor does it show events for calendars not listed in your Subscribed Calendars list.)
  2. Under Subscribed Calendars, click Hide all calendars to hide the calendars from view. This will declutter the calendar so you can better see what events and are taking place at each location.
  3. In the sidebar, under Locations, select a check box next to the location whose events and reservations you want to see. (Other locations should not be checked.)

Only select the location for which you want to see the events and reservations. Having others selected unnecessarily clutters the calendar and may hide the one event or reservation you need to see that is the conflict.

If you follow the procedure described you should be able to find the conflicting event or conflicting reservation.

When you follow the procedures described you will not only see all events but you will also see all reservations. Events for any ward that has scheduled one at the location can be a conflict. Reservations will also cause conflicts when scheduling an event. It is possible you did not see a conflicting event from an unsubscribed calendar, another ward's calendar, or a reservation using the method you described.

The building scheduler should be able to help you with a reservation conflict.
I followed the steps which you mentioned above and the time slot for which the supposed conflict is supposed to be is all clear. I still cannot find it. When I try to edit my event, I am receiving the same conflict notice.

I'll contact the building scheduler, but the point of having the calendar online is to eliminate the need to talk to a person. I think that there is something that is causing this conflict (maybe it is due to the new release of the calendar this last week). I have tried 2 different LDS account logins and 2 different internet browsers (Chrome and IE9). I receive the same results.

Who is the best team to contact to have them look at this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dfchamplain wrote:I'll contact the building scheduler, but the point of having the calendar online is to eliminate the need to talk to a person.

Only for simple situations. I'd still talk to the building scheduler first.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dfchamplain

Post by dfchamplain »

RussellHltn wrote:Only for simple situations. I'd still talk to the building scheduler first.

Just got an email back from the building scheduler (with member names redacted) and this is what they wrote:

"I'm not able to see the eventthat you referring to, though I remember creating that event with(member name removed) a while back. If I recall, those events were added to the"Hartford Reservations" calendar, though I no longer see thatcalendar on my list. I do have one titled "Hartford BuildingScheduling." Is this the same calendar, but renamed? Either way, I amapparently unable to see or edit the specific event in question."

Any ideas?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Is this a building that is shared by more then one stake?

Your building scheduler didn't indicate that the event was canceled. If the event is still taking place, then you may be stuck with moving your event.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dfchamplain

Post by dfchamplain »

No, the building is shared by two wards within the stake. Looks like we are stuck moving the event. Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dfchamplain wrote:No, the building is shared by two wards within the stake. Looks like we are stuck moving the event. Thanks.
It sounds like the building scheduler remembers who asked for the event to be scheduled. If that person doesn't need the event, I see no reason to move the event. Just schedule it for the date and time you want, but set the location to "Other location" (so there will be no conflict) and specify where people should show up for the event. It seems pointless to leave the building unused just because of a technical glitch.

But if that person still expects the event to take place, then I guess you do need to move your proposed new event.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
shoelessinsight

Post by shoelessinsight »

I am the building scheduler that dfchamplain spoke to. I actually came to the forums here to find a solution to this issue, and chanced across this thread. The particular conflict discussed here should be resolved, since I was able to email the contact for the event and explain things personally. But this doesn't resolve the overall issue.

Our ward, along with several others, have recently changed stakes, and it has caused some trouble with the calendar. Specifically, it seems that some of the calendars did not transition to the new stake and are therefore not accessible to me, but the building reservations on those calendars are still in effect.

I have been told that it is possible to see these reservations in "Week" view, but that does not seem to be true in my case. I have also tried following the steps recommended by jdlessley in this thread, with no luck. I am still able to see other reservations for that location, but seemingly only if they exist on the of the calendars that I have access to. In other words, if I "Hide all calendars," I still see gray reservation blocks for the Hartford building, but not the reservation blocks from the old calendars.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

shoelessinsight wrote:Our ward, along with several others, have recently changed stakes

That could create an interesting situation. Especially if there were events on the old stake calendar at that location. It could have orphaned some database records.

Return to “Calendar”