Is there a way to send email to everyone subscribed to a calendar?

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
toniki

Is there a way to send email to everyone subscribed to a calendar?

Post by toniki »

I inadvertently put an appt on a calendar and sent notification to everyone subscribed to the calendar. I've now removed the appt, but you can't send notification of a removal (at least I haven't found a way to). I want to make sure everyone knows that appt wasn't for them. Is there a way I can send all subscribers an email?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

toniki wrote:I inadvertently put an appt on a calendar and sent notification to everyone subscribed to the calendar. I've now removed the appt, but you can't send notification of a removal (at least I haven't found a way to). I want to make sure everyone knows that appt wasn't for them. Is there a way I can send all subscribers an email?
There's no way independent of events to send all subscribers an email.

Once upon a time, the deletion of a calendar event provided an opportunity to email subscribers. Now that only happens when you delete repeating events -- when you delete a single event, you have no ability to send an email. That seems like a bug to me; the cancellation of a single event is at least as important to notify people about as a repeating event.

A possible (admittedly awkward) workaround would be to create a repeating event that is just like the original event (at least has the same title and is on the same calendar), but only repeat it for one occurrence; but don't send an email to subscribers. Then delete that event and make sure you check the box to notify subscribers. Note that you can't use the right-click "Delete Only This Event" option to do this; you have to click on the event, and then click the "Delete Event" button. That should send an email to all subscribers informing them of the deletion of the event, which as far as they can tell will appear to be telling them about the cancellation of the original event.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
failproof

Post by failproof »

Or...

Not as elegant, but potentially workable - You re-add the event as a normal, single event with wording that says the previous event has been canceled and please disregard the previous email, and have it send the notification. Then just delete it with no notification, since the notification you wanted was the one you just sent.
toniki

Post by toniki »

thanks to both of you!
toniki

Post by toniki »

I tried the first suggestion (creating a series and then deleting the series and sending a notification), but it apparently didn't work -- one of the people who got the original notification said he hasn't received a second cancellation notification.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

An even less elegant solution is to create a new event entitled "Canceled -- Name of Event" and send it to everyone. This also advises those who do not get emails. We sometimes rename an event this way instead of just deleting it in the first place.

But this method does not address an event that should not have been on the calendar or was incorrect in the first place.
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

I'm just reading through some of the previous threads. I assume this issue has been fixed, because when I delete a single event on the calendar, I'm prompted with the option to send an email notification to subscribers about the deleted event.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

johnsonth wrote:I'm just reading through some of the previous threads. I assume this issue has been fixed, because when I delete a single event on the calendar, I'm prompted with the option to send an email notification to subscribers about the deleted event.
That's true if you go into the details for the event and then click the Delete Event button. But if you click the Delete Event button on the initial popup, you are not prompted to send an email notification to subscribers.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lisaan
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by lisaan »

Thanks for the heads up. I've created an issue to get this fixed in a future release of Calendar.
QA Engineer
ryttingm

Post by ryttingm »

toniki wrote:I tried the first suggestion (creating a series and then deleting the series and sending a notification), but it apparently didn't work -- one of the people who got the original notification said he hasn't received a second cancellation notification.

I see this issue all the time. The system never sends emails about cancellations. See
https://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.p ... send-email

The only thing I can seem to get emails sent for is the original creation of the event and if I have it set to notify x days before event. Other than that, cancellations and changes do not send out emails.

Return to “Calendar”