RF Modulators

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

RF Modulators

Post by russellhltn »

RussellHltn wrote:Speaking of 1U black modulators, I've seen two different brands used. On the last renovation, they installed something like a "Pico" brand. Of the 6 we had, all but one died with a bad hum in the audio. They've since been replaced with (I think) Blonder-Tongue. If I'm not mistaken, Blonder-Tongue is one of the "big boys" in the CATV business so hopefully they will hold up.

I posted that 5 years ago. Now I've had my first Blonder-Tongue fail with the same problem - a loud hum in the audio and a "hum bar" in the video. Poping the cover I see the main filter cap is bulging. Kinda unusual for a 60Hz non-switching power supply. I may decide to fix it myself. See if I can find a higher quality part.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

RussellHltn wrote:I posted that 5 years ago. Now I've had my first Blonder-Tongue fail with the same problem - a loud hum in the audio and a "hum bar" in the video. Poping the cover I see the main filter cap is bulging. Kinda unusual for a 60Hz non-switching power supply. I may decide to fix it myself. See if I can find a higher quality part.
Not all that unusual to have caps on linear supplies go bad too. Without it, you'll definitely get a high 120Hz ripple on the DC supply, which (as you noticed) will manifest itself on both the audio and video signals. It shouldn't be too hard to find a suitable replacement. Probably have better specs than the old one, such as a lower and more stable ESR.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Satellite”