anyone else getting portguguese for church handbook?

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
sasgrw

anyone else getting portguguese for church handbook?

Post by sasgrw »

In bishopric this morning, two people on mac laptops and one on ipad went to leadership resources > applications > church handbook and the handbook comes up in portguguese. The url has '?lang=port'. Anyone else see this? Not sure if it's a safari issue or on any browser.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Various problems have been reported with portions (or all) of LDS.org being shown in the wrong language. Sometimes it's related to using the Sign Out link, but other times it appears to happen when people close their browser, or their session finally times out. But many people have no such problem at all. It is certainly happening with different browsers.

See these threads:
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

I read all the related threads (and the threads that spun off from those threads) and I can't tell if someone is looking into the problem. I don't think it's a cookie/cache issue. I've never had the problem before (nor any of those in bishopric this morning) and now all of us are having the problem.

I just tried again in Firefox and IE on the ward computer and it now has the problem too.
barkeraj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by barkeraj »

We are very aware of the sporadic language issues and have been looking into them. I don't know the progress of the issue, but I know it is acknowledged and being worked on.
Aaron Barker
Front-end Development Lead for LDS.org (content portions, not apps) and Ward Executive Secretary.
hirsp1

Re: anyone else getting portguguese for church handbook?

Post by hirsp1 »

It's started happening again... this time Portuguese for me, and others in our home on different devices (including computers), but NOT everyone.
mevans

Post by mevans »

The last few days whenever I go to lds.org I'm getting either Portuguese or Spanish. I usually have to change the language back to English twice and then it sticks (which is an improvement over some times in the past when this happened). I haven't personally observed this behavior for quite some time. I guess it's my turn again :eek:
hirsp1

Post by hirsp1 »

mevans - same behavior I've been seeing. Most strange.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

It usually happens to me when the status of the header is out of sync with the status of the web page being displayed. For example:

I sign in. The header does not show that I am signed in, but the page requiring that I be signed in displays. Next page, the header catches up and shows I am signed in.

If I go to the Handbook while the header is out of sync, I usually get a different language.

Another case: I sign in at LDSTech and wander around. Then I go to the lds.org home page. The page shows that I am NOT signed in and the menu does not allow me to access any options that require signing in.

Then, when I click on the sign in button, the header updates to signed in status with my name, and all the menu options are available. I did not have to go through the actual sign in page (probably because I was already signed in through LDSTech).

So I think it is a combination of the coordination of the header page and the actual web page, and whatever cookie or setting it is that tells the site that I am signed in.

Conversely, I can sign out of some locations accessed through lds.org and I will be signed out of all sites. On the other hand, I can sign out of some lds.org locations and I will still be able to go to other places and remain signed in. It would appear in this case that the individual page or area signed me out (because I cannot access that function any longer), but the cookie or setting is still in my browser or on my computer that lets other parts of lds.org think I am still signed in. The cookie or setting did not clear as it should have.

One last clue. It happens most often when the site is running slowly and I am hurrying along. The header display on the page may still be being built, and I click on through where I know the link will be without waiting for the display to actually put it there.

This seems to mean to me that the page is accepting calls and clicks and doing things but it is not yet fully loaded and does not yet handle those calls, clicks, or things properly. Whether that would point to a problem in the basic page code or the underlying routines or css file display calls that build links, I would not know.

I do know that in every case where I have received a foreign language version of a page, the URL that delivered it has been built to include a "lang=???" tag to match.

And if this is not helpful at all, I hope it is at least entertaining.
mevans

Post by mevans »

lajackson wrote:It usually happens to me when the status of the header is out of sync with the status of the web page being displayed.
I've been noticing it when I go there for normal use, following my normal routine, such as logging in to read scriptures and lessons. I wasn't in a hurry, and hadn't been on other sites, such as LDS tech. I just logged in. I even tried another web browser I hadn't used on the church site in a while and it also was showing a different language. Thanks for your observations. I'll try to pay attention to what I was doing before the language happened in case that gives any more clues.

Come to think of it, this morning when I did my study, it was all in English, which hasn't happened for a few days. Maybe something got fixed?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

What I'm finding with both Chrome and IE 10 is that http gets me English, but https gets me Spanish. When I enter just "lds.org", chrome defaults to http, but IE 10 defaults to https.

I can change it from there, but it doesn't stick for a new window.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”