Multiple Calendar Emails for the Same Event

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
rmwooten

Multiple Calendar Emails for the Same Event

Post by rmwooten »

I routinely get three emails for the same event each time someone posts a new event. Any ideas what I can do to correct this?
kyleq

Post by kyleq »

I'm wondering if you have been added as an editor or viewer of the calendar in multiple ways. For example if you are the scout master you may have been added by name then by calling (young men's second counselor and scout master). I'll test out a few scenarios in our test environment and get back with you. In the meantime could you check to see if you are added in multiple ways as an editor? To do this go to the Options menu (gear icon), Calendars and click on the calendar from which you are getting alerts.
rmwooten

Post by rmwooten »

All three calendar notifications came from a single calendar - stake events. It lists high councilors on there and I recently was released but that is the only role that I would have had. I can remove that since I have been released, but that doesn't explain the three emails.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You may want to talk to the person doing to posting. It's possible they're doing something that's triggering the multiple emails.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rmwooten

A Second Look at Roles

Post by rmwooten »

So I've looked a little more at what you said and tried to understand what roles I might have. I am now a stake finance clerk, and by default a calendar admin, and I'm also listed as a stake auditor (even though I don't audit since I am the stake finance clerk. There are three roles. But the only role that is listed for stake events is stake presidency (as a clerk I am in that grouping). But I'm not in any of the other groups listed. I guess I might get one for being admin (by default as a stake finance clerk).

Regardless of all that, it might be good to put in something in the code to look for multiples and only send once for an event.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I usually get two emails. I suspect one is because I am subscribed to the calendar, and the other is because I am a default admin.
failproof

Post by failproof »

A very good point from lajackson... Don't make the assumption that all your emails are exactly the same even though they look like it at first glace. I usually get at least 2, (maybe 3 sometimes, I can't be sure because I don't have any recent examples. I can't seem to convince my ward to really use the calendar so we don't get a lot of events added)

If you look at the bottom of the email there is a bunch of disclaimer stuff stating who you got it from and why, along with links to unsubscribe, etc. That information may be slightly different stating that you received it because you subscribed or that you received it because you are an administrator, etc.

Personally, as an administrator I used to like getting both because it showed me what other subscribers were getting as well as giving me the one specific to my calling. That said, it isn't what it used to be... On the classic ward website I had to approve every calendar entry, so I wanted notifications that there was an item waiting to be approved. On the new Calendar pages, that is no longer a necessity and I can see how sending additional emails to administrators may not be necessary any more. Perhaps they should only be going to building schedulers and not administrators. A suggestion at least to consider for the developers...

Return to “Calendar”