Access to Unit Boundary Display for Mission Office Staff

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
jeromer7

Access to Unit Boundary Display for Mission Office Staff

Post by jeromer7 »

I provide some computer support to our local mission office. They have been using LDS.org/maps > FindPlaces of Worship to identify units matching a referral address. This has worked rather well. In this way the referral clerk can identifythe unit, but not the boundaries of that unit.

After transfers recently, some missionaries asked the referral clerkabout boundaries of their new areas. Shecalled me and asked if I knew how to show boundaries using LDS.org/maps. I did a couple of sample searches (in thecurrent Maps, not Beta 3.0) and, as mentioned above, found that boundaries arenot shown in the Meetinghouse Locator portion of the Maps site. I know unit boundaries are availableto stake members who sign in, but this sister is serving a mission here anddoes not have a record in our stake.

Could this be resolved by creating an out of unit record for her?
JLR
jcarroll

Post by jcarroll »

Did you resolve this issue? If so, what was the solution?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Since unit boundaries generally static, I'd suggest having an appropriate leader log into CDOL and download the needed files.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Any member of a stake can view the boundaries of any unit within that stake. Out of unit members can only view the boundaries of their home stake and units within that stake. Out of unit leaders can view the boundaries of the stake and units within that stake in which they are serving as well as the boundaries of their home stake and units within that stake.

Testing using my wife's "member only" log on as compared to my "administrator' log on indicates that members can only view the unit boundaries of their home stake and units within that stake. LDS Maps administrators can view the boundaries of any unit.

So creating an out of unit record in of itself will not give her access to view the boundaries of any stake and units within that stake other than her home stake and units within that stake.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jeromer7

Post by jeromer7 »

jcarroll wrote:Did you resolve this issue? If so, what was the solution?
Sorry for not following up here. During a subsequent visit to the mission office, I suggested the referral clerk contact that Boundary and Leadership Change Committee and see if they could generate a mission specific map. She did that they now have a very nice plotter sized wall map of the mission.
JLR

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”