YSA access to home stake

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
derekmw

YSA access to home stake

Post by derekmw »

I serve in a YSA ward that is fed by 3 traditional stakes. I am a YSA, so my records are located in the YSA ward. We are working with the "feeder" stakes to get access to their stake YSA calendars to post our events for viewing by their YSA's that remain in their family ward. I am not sure if it matters or not, but I am both the website administrator and assistant clerk in my ward.

Is it possible for the home stakes to create an out of unit record for a member of our ward, and give them access to edit those calendars?

If not, is there a viable alternative?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Yes it is possible. Once a member has an out of unit record in a unit of the traditional stake they have the same access to calendars for viewing as a regular member of that unit. Granting edit rights is the same as for any other member of the stake. If they are not going to hold a calling in the out of unit stake then the edit rights will have to be granted by name rather than by position. The issue with doing things that way is the amount of manual tracking of out of unit positions and edit rights granted by name. The unit to which the out of unit member is added will have to keep up on the status of the out of unit member and the stake will have to continuously monitor the out of unit members they have granted edit rights. This could become quite unwieldy

My recommendation to keep things a simple as possible is to have one individual the person who is added to one unit of each of the traditional stakes as and out of unit member.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

jdlessley wrote:Yes it is possible. Once a member has an out of unit record in a unit of the traditional stake they have the same access to calendars for viewing as a regular member of that unit. Granting edit rights is the same as for any other member of the stake. If they are not going to hold a calling in the out of unit stake then the edit rights will have to be granted by name rather than by position.
Do you have experience with this? From what I understand, just creating an out-of-unit record does not grant any rights. In fact, from what I understand, an out-of-unit record is never transmitted to CHQ. What does give rights is a standard calling in the unit which is then transmitted to CDOL. Creating an out-of-unit record is necessary for given an out-of-unit member a calling but is not in itself sufficient.

A recent post by one of the development team members seems to support this (of course, that post was related to the directory but I'm pretty sure it applies to the calendar as well).

But if you have direct experience that an out-of-unit record without a calling does grant rights, that would be good to know.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

eblood66 wrote:Do you have experience with this?
No, I do not have personal experience. And I misrepresented the full requirement to gain access to LDS.org applications. There are two sources of information the LDS.org applications use to grant access to LDS.org applications. Membership information, which includes your home unit, is provided by CMIS (Church Membership Information System). Callings information is provided by CDOL (Church Directory of Organizations and Leaders). An out of unit member record is only local to MLS and does not provide any data to either CMIS or CDOL as far as I know. Therefore any access a member may gain to another unit is through a standard calling recorded in CDOL.

It follows then that for this situation not only would the out of unit record need to be created but also a standard position be recorded.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Calendar”