app hang/crash when wireless connection isn't good

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
mevans

app hang/crash when wireless connection isn't good

Post by mevans »

I had some frustrating problems yesterday at church. I was trying to open the scripture and the Sunday School manual on my phone (4S / iOS 5.1.1) and things wouldn't open. I could navigate menus (such as manual/chapter) but when it got to the content page it just hung. I tried rebooting my phone and then all I got was the "Gospel Library" splash page for several seconds and it would go away.

I asked someone else if his device was working. It turns out there was an internet problem. The wireless router was up. I was connected to LDS Access, but LDS Access couldn't get to the Internet. I was surprised that Gospel Library wouldn't open, since the content is already installed on my phone.

With knowledge about a problem, I did some experiments:
  • I turned off WiFi on the phone. Gospel Library worked fine.
  • Now my theory was that it needs to talk to a server somewhere because it's trying to sync my annotations. I turned off the annotation sync and turned WiFi back on and started Gospel Library. It still didn't work. This surprised me. Others who don't use the annotation sync were able to get in without any network connection (different device...iPad or Android tablet), so this puzzled me.

So my theory is that Gospel Library needs to talk to a server or it's not happy. Maybe it only needs to talk to a server if it thinks there's a WiFi connection? This might explain why some others didn't have any problem...they didn't have WiFi turned on.

I'm not sure why it needs to talk to a server, even if I have annotation sync turned off? My suggestion is that the code be reworked to spin the server check off on a separate thread so I can at least get into the scriptures? If it can't connect, or it's still connecting, how about a notification, rather than a hang?

I think iOS 6 is supposed to do something to allow people to switch between WiFi and cellular data networks; however, I'm not sure if what it's doing will solve the problem because in my case, the phone thinks it has a valid connection over WiFi, but it doesn't.

LDS Tools also had some interesting problems in this situation. I didn't mess with it too much, as I really wanted the scriptures.

And it figures that yesterday was one of the few days I went to church without my paper scriptures. :( At least I had it working by priesthood meeting :)
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mevans wrote:I had some frustrating problems yesterday at church.

It turns out there was an internet problem. The wireless router was up. I was connected to LDS Access, but LDS Access couldn't get to the Internet. I was surprised that Gospel Library wouldn't open, since the content is already installed on my phone.

• I turned off WiFi on the phone. Gospel Library worked fine.

I use an iPod Touch and always turn off WiFi before I use Gospel Library, unless I intend to download data or update the program.

Gospel Library works just fine without being connected to anything. If I am connected, I find it tries to check for updates, do some behind the scenes Library Management stuff, and otherwise slow down the program and wreak havoc when the WiFi drops out (especially at the meetinghouse where there is not complete coverage). When I leave WiFi off, everything works just fine. I think it is just trying to update and manage, which slows down the regular part of the program.

(Actually, I leave WiFi off and only turn it on when I need it. GL isn't the only program with these characteristics.)
ShariCarnahan

Post by ShariCarnahan »

I have run into this problem numerous times. I reported a bug months ago in JIRA. No action has been taken on it.

If there were a shorter timeout it wouldn't scare some people.

While turning off Wi-Fi is something that works for some people, I don't find it that convenient for most.

In our building we have some routers that will be broadcasting their SSID but there is no internet at the time (these were purchased by the FM group as a bridge solution until the right Wi-Fi access points become available). I can only get into our clerk's office to reset the router (others are in other ward's clerk's offices).

Your solution of turn WiFi off doesn't solve the real issue. The program should not appear to hang when it thinks there is WiFi and it can't get it's connection.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

sharicarnahan wrote:Your solution of turn WiFi off doesn't solve the real issue.
This isn't a solution. It is a work-around until a solution is programmed.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mevans

Post by mevans »

Do more people need to report the problem? Does that help escalate fixes? I'm not even sure how to report problems with things like mobile apps. The only category on the feedback site that seems to match is "Other".
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mevans wrote:Do more people need to report the problem? Does that help escalate fixes? I'm not even sure how to report problems with things like mobile apps. The only category on the feedback site that seems to match is "Other".
I'm not sure if the iPhone/iPad version of Gospel Library works like the Android version, but for the Android version there is a Help menu that contains an item "Report a Problem". That creates an email message directed to "android-support@ldsmail.net" that contains all sorts of environment information that would be helpful for the support team.

In any case, you can also find the instructions found at Gospel Library support - iPhone.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aebrown wrote:I'm not sure if the iPhone/iPad version of Gospel Library works like the Android version, . . .
It does. And if you are not connected, you can manually send an email to the indicated address through another email channel.
mevans wrote:Do more people need to report the problem? Does that help escalate fixes?

I think if you have a problem you should report it to the email address. This gives the developers a feeling for the extent of the problem. If I saw something here that indicated they already knew about the situation, then I would consider not sending a report.

But I feel it is better to have too many folks report the problem than for the developers not to realize there is a problem because no one mentioned it.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”