Video Recordings in Chapels

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
bryanwilson

Video Recordings in Chapels

Post by bryanwilson »

Starting with Jabari Parker's interview a few months ago in a chapel in Manhattan, and more recently with the NBC program and CNN's special on Romney showing extensive video footage inside of our chapels, it seems the policy on video recordings has changed (original policy, Handbook 2, 21.2.10).

As the handbook only lists one exception for the transmission of videos, did I miss where this policy changed?

The reason I ask is I was asked and I didn't know how to respond.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I know of no change to policy.

I do believe that the church airs programs showing a staged sacrament meeting. In that case I'm sure there were special permissions involved. It's possible that in the cases you cite that special permission was asked for and received.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

bryanwilson wrote:Starting with Jabari Parker's interview a few months ago in a chapel in Manhattan, and more recently with the NBC program and CNN's special on Romney showing extensive video footage inside of our chapels, it seems the policy on video recordings has changed (original policy, Handbook 2, 21.2.10).

As the handbook only lists one exception for the transmission of videos, did I miss where this policy changed?

I noted some of those videos as well. But the way I see it, the policy never changed. The policy in the handbook was created by the highest level of leaders of the Church (First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve) and they can make exceptions when they choose.

But that doesn't change the policy for the local level. I think we can be confident that these videos were not approved at the stake or ward level; leaders at that level are still bound by the published policy, unless they receive a specific exception from a higher authority.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

We held the Press Event for the Kansas City Temple Open House in a chapel, it was certainly recorded, in fact we took out benches for the row of cameras. It seems this is something that can happen from the Top, but I agree as local leaders, this would be uncommonly the exception.

Return to “General Discussions”