Merging Stakes

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
craigdanielanderson

Merging Stakes

Post by craigdanielanderson »

Last Sunday we merged two Stakes into a new Stake. The new Stake kept the Unit No. of one of the previous Stakes. We'd like to merge the two Stake calendars. I have a few questions. How long before the new Stake will show up on the Calendar sight? Can we merge the two calendars or transfer from one former Stake Calendar to the one that kept the their unit number?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

craigdanielanderson wrote:Last Sunday we merged two Stakes into a new Stake. The new Stake kept the Unit No. of one of the previous Stakes. We'd like to merge the two Stake calendars. I have a few questions. How long before the new Stake will show up on the Calendar sight? Can we merge the two calendars or transfer from one former Stake Calendar to the one that kept the their unit number?
It seems quite natural that the calendars of the stake with the unit number that was retained will continue to be in place. So you need to merge the retired stake's calendars. I'd recommend that you export that stake's calendars right away by following the instructions to "Export the Calendar as an iCal File" in the Syncing with Third-Party Calendars help topic. Then you'll have an iCal file that you can import (see "Import Events from Another Calendar" in Initial Setup). It might be prudent to do the same for the retained stake, but I doubt that you'd have a problem with its calendars.

You asked when the new stake will show up on the Calendar site. I would think it would already be there for members who are coming from the stake that kept the unit number (although if its name changed, the name might not change for a little while). And it will also take some time for the wards in the retired stake to be associated with the retained stake. But their calendars should retain all their data (assuming those wards all stay in place with their same unit numbers).

I'm being vague about the timing because we've heard of a variety of times for such processes to be completed. Some of this requires manual processing by Church employees after the presiding authority turns in the paperwork. Each of those steps can create some delay.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Calendar”