Callings from prior ward showing on Members with Callings report

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
rontilby

Callings from prior ward showing on Members with Callings report

Post by rontilby »

Some of the recent (July-August 2012) move-ins to my ward have an "Out of Unit" calling listed in the "Members with Callings" report on lds.org. For example one person is showing as a "FHE Group Leader". (He came from a singles ward.) We are a regular ward and don't have "FHE Group Leaders".
The incorrect calling data doesn't appear in MLS.

I reported this issue via lds.org feedback about a week ago and haven't seen any response.

I suspect that I'll have to do the Correcting_duplicate_or_missing_callings
procedure, but I don't want to do it until the software flaw that is causing the problem is fixed.
http://tech.lds.org/wiki/Callings#Correcting_duplicate_or_missing_callings
showseason

Post by showseason »

I noticed this too and submitted feedback as well. You mention the one example from a singles ward, well, the two I have from a singles ward have the same notations attached. Other move-ins within this same period that were in (family wards) a EQ presidency, high councilman, primary secretary and assist ward clerk do not show up. Could it possibly be an item associated with single wards?

I know we have all wished for a history of past callings but I was hoping this would show up on the individual record.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Can you verify this is a "move in" and not a "boundary change"?

I can't think of anything about singles wards that would make them special. But perhaps they are doing boundary changes to avoid having to re-enter contact information since no physical move may be involved.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
showseason

Post by showseason »

Mine was a move-in, a newly married couple from the singles ward.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

rontilby wrote:Some of the recent (July-August 2012) move-ins to my ward have an "Out of Unit" calling listed in the "Members with Callings" report on lds.org.
This sounds very much like the member records were in one ward and an out of unit record created in another so that the member could be added in an out of unit calling. My dated experience has been that out of unit records do not move or are not deleted when a member moves. They may still be listed in a unit with an out of unit calling.

It would not hurt to find out what callings the member had prior to the move and in what unit. I would then contact a clerk in that unit and have them check their MLS for an out of unit record as well as that member being listed in an out of unit calling. You could also check on CDOL for the other unit. If the other unit has an out of unit record and/or an out of unit calling for the person, then ask to have them removed/deleted.

LUS should also be able to help tract this down for you.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
showseason

Post by showseason »

That's all too logical. Since the single ward I referenced is in our stake, I went to the lds.org/tools directory for that ward and looked at their other callings. Sure enough the newly married couple is still listed in the same 'Out of Unit' positions that came through to the 'Members with Callings' report. I will be calling the ward clerk there. Thanks for the help.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

There are a few parts to this problem. One is that MLS didn't send up the release to CDOL when the member moved. In CDOL last year we also implemented removing positions when a member moves (with things moving online waiting for the MLS release was too slow, and eventually it will be all done online). The problem is that in January we introduced a bug that didn't release custom positions when members moved, so that would explain why you would still be seeing
rontilby wrote:FHE Group Leader
and not having problems with
showseason wrote:EQ presidency, high councilman, primary secretary and assist ward clerk
The good news is I now have a fix in that should be going out this week. It will also clean up most of them. If after that release (CDOL 3.1) you are still seeing new problem positions let me know. If you still have old ones you can send feedback in CDOL and they can clean them up.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

rontilby wrote: I suspect that I'll have to do the Correcting_duplicate_or_missing_callings
procedure, but I don't want to do it until the software flaw that is causing the problem is fixed.
http://tech.lds.org/wiki/Callings#Correcting_duplicate_or_missing_callings
The problem is those callings aren't in your ward so you won't get them when you request the refresh. The ward the callings are in would have to follow this process.
williamjackson

Post by williamjackson »

JonesRK wrote:The good news is I now have a fix in that should be going out this week. It will also clean up most of them.
I had a similar problem with members that retained out-of-unit callings when they moved into my ward. I can confirm that CDOL 3.1 cleaned everything up for me.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”