class specific events

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

cawilson wrote:I hope you don’t mind me saying, but that sounds like a lot of work, for a single admin to have to put in every event and every class that is affected by any one of those events in a single Sign in.
From this statement I get that you may not fully, or correctly, understand what has been discussed in this thread. The OP asked about an event specific to a class and have that event postpone lessons for that class rather than replace them. Your statement concerns setting up every event and every class in a single sign in. My posts have been focusing on the recommended procedure that makes it possible to have automatic postponing of lessons as well as recovering that capability when possible. Do not take those discussions in the context of general procedure to add events and classes. That single sign in session comment was in context of recovering the ability for events that were added before any classes to postpone lessons.

The discussion that ensued following my post (post #2) has been focused on the limitations and workarounds to get an event to postpone lessons rather than replace them. My posts address how the postponing feature, as it currently exists, works and how it may work or, as in most cases, does not work. This is a known limitation of Lesson Schedules and it is being addressed for some future release.

Organization leaders (such as elders quorum presidents and Sunday School presidents), as well as their counselors and secretaries, have rights to add classes for their organization but not events. Administrators must add events. The capability to automatically postpone lessons requires all events that need to postpone lessons be added before any classes are added. This is what the recommended procedure found in the Lesson Schedules Help section Managing Events explains. If any class exists before an event is added, the event will replace the lesson on the event date. For more information about the relationship of events to lessons see How Events Affect Lesson Schedules. There is no requirement for an administrator to do everything on one sign in session.

cawilson wrote:Even if it doesn’t all have to be done in the same login, that is a lot of work for the admin, and we don’t even have anyone called to website in our ward.
As I said before, an admin does not have to do all the work in one Sign in. All he has to do is to add the events. Any events that should automatically postpone lessons should be added before any classes are added or even exist. All classes can be added by organization leaders.
cawilson wrote:We could also do each class individually, but some of our auxiliaries aren’t as computer savvy, and updating 52 lessons instead of letting them auto-postpone would sound daunting to them.
That is exactly why there has been requests for an update to Lesson Schedules to add the capability to postpone lessons for an event when the event is created, regardless of when the event is added
cawilson wrote:So, even though this would be a lot of work, maybe I can suggest a change for when you get the resources and workforce to be able to take it on:
You may want to start a new thread for any recommendations you may have. This thread addresses one topic. You may refer to this thread in any thread you start.

Moderator note: Any responses to the third paragraph in cawilson's third paragraph of post #10 should be made in another or new thread so as to not fork this thread. Do not respond in this thread.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

To be sure here, if I put in Stake Conference on the 15th (Utah County/Heber Valley satellite broadcast) and the Brigham City Temple Dedication ont he 23rd, that won't screw up the rest of the schedule for this year, or would it? I'm a newly called HP Group Secretary, and this would help in getting the word out about both.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

JamesAnderson wrote:To be sure here, if I put in Stake Conference on the 15th (Utah County/Heber Valley satellite broadcast) and the Brigham City Temple Dedication ont he 23rd, that won't screw up the rest of the schedule for this year, or would it? I'm a newly called HP Group Secretary, and this would help in getting the word out about both.
I am going to assume that because of the late time in the year classes have already been created, correct? If an administrator (you as HPG secretary cannot add events) now adds in an event for stake conference on 15 September, that event will replace the lesson originally scheduled for the 15th. The same will happen for the temple dedication. If you would like the lessons on the 15th and the 23rd postponed rather than replaced, the class schedule will have to be edited to manually move the scheduled lessons.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Lesson Schedules”