MLS + Jython

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
maethows

MLS + Jython

Post by maethows »

Since MLS is developed in Java, what would be the likelihood that we could get a Jython interface added to it? Similar to the Custom Reports interface, we could "upload" Python/Jython scripts into MLS and let the other users in the local unit use them as well.

Ideally, the API would give a Jython script author access to membership and financial data (according to the user's permissions, of course), classes (quorums, Relief Society, SS, etc.), callings, home and visiting teaching, user interface components for custom data entry screens, the reporting engine so that custom reports could be generated, and the ability to securely save arbitrary data within the MLS database itself.

With an interface like this clerks could build additional functionality into MLS which could then be shared with the community at large.

Thoughts?

http://www.jython.org
http://www.python.org
maethows

Additional details

Post by maethows »

1. Give hooks into existing user interfaces.
An example would be the ability to add additional side-tabs on Individual or Household editing screens.

2. API access to the user list.
This could be used to write bulletin board and private message scripts. I have wanted the ability to leave messages for our financial and membership clerks or even the bishop without leaving another hand-written note in their already overflowing inboxes.

3. Administrative control of scripts.
Only those with the role of Administrator should be able to add and remove Jython scripts.
marianomarini

Wonderful

Post by marianomarini »

It would be wonderful.
For example I was thinking to manage prayer, talks and so on avoiding to use print lists to share with other leaders.
Having possibility to use MLS database will offer many opportunities to spare time!
AdrianLP-p40

Post by AdrianLP-p40 »

marianomarini_vi wrote:It would be wonderful.
For example I was thinking to manage prayer, talks and so on avoiding to use print lists to share with other leaders. Having possibility to use MLS database will offer many opportunities to spare time!
See: http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=978
maethows

Post by maethows »

There are a few problems with a standalone Internet-based system that would not be present by extending MLS itself, namely:

1. It would not benefit from the data that is already in MLS.

2. A standalone Internet-based system would not be available from the clerk's office for many (most?) units, thus limiting its usefulness to home use (in other words, it would not necessarily increase productivity for those in the office).

3. The security of confidential information.

Well, security could still be a concern in the extension-based solution, but it would be limited to concerns over how to trust such extensions before installing them.

Now, if the Church were to develop a completely web-based version of MLS, give every unit Internet access, and clerks had the ability to develop and upload extensions or modules for additional functionality, then that would be something cool. But that may be nothing more than a costly pipe dream. ;-)
AdrianLP-p40

Post by AdrianLP-p40 »

mfellows wrote:1. It would not benefit from the data that is already in MLS.
I'd use it if I could :) And yes ,that would save time.

Well, maybe. In our branch we have about 250 members on the books, but only half of those are ever seen. Choosing from a list of 250 is a tad tedious when only about 120 ever show up.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

My branch (Vicenza, Italy) has not such(*) possibility. I was thinking about a stand alone program to install on local machine.

(*) Italy is not yet allow to have units Website and only few units as internet access.
AdrianLP-p40

Post by AdrianLP-p40 »

marianomarini_vi wrote:My branch (Vicenza, Italy) has not such(*) possibility. I was thinking about a stand alone program to install on local machine.

(*) Italy is not yet allow to have units Website and only few units as internet access.
You would not necessarily need internet access.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”