Problem downloading the American Sign Language Music Videos

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
gfhtj-p40

Problem downloading the American Sign Language Music Videos

Post by gfhtj-p40 »

I am an American Sign Language interpreter in my branch. We have a deaf child and I am working on teaching the Primary children some ASL - especially the songs.

I called the Special curriculum department and they are in the process of creating a DVD for the Children's Songbook as they have for the selected Hymns DVD. But it won't be out until at least the end of this year.

According to the lds.org website, I am able to download the song videos to my computer and save them on DVD. I am trying to find a way to create a DVD that can be played on a regular DVD player so I can show the kids at church how the songs look.

My problem is that when I download the songs, it changes the format from wmv to wvx. It shows up as a 1K file. They'll play (sometimes) on my Media Player but I can't reformat them onto a DVD and play them in a regular DVD player like the one at church. Which is what I want to do.

The weird thing is that I can download the Visiting Teaching messages and they stay in wmv format. They show up as mega-K files. I can reformat them and save them to a DVD-R disk to play on my DVD player at home or at church.

But I can't get the songs to do that.

Can someone explain what is happening and if there's a way to get around it? I hope so.

Thanks!

Greta
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Where is this download? How do we navigate to it? I tried poking around lds.org but didn't see any videos.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

If you open the WVX file in Notepad, you can see it's simply a "pointer" or link to where the video source is. In this case, it resides on the stream.lds.org server. I can't tell you WHY they are doing it this way, but it often has to do with the licensing of the video. Since they don't list or sell these particular videos in their catalog, I would have to assume they don't have all the rights to them. They might have the rights to play them on demand, but not make them available for direct download.

Edit: Russell, the videos can be found HERE.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gfhtj-p40

Post by gfhtj-p40 »

Mikerowaved wrote:If you open the WVX file in Notepad, you can see it's simply a "pointer" or link to where the video source is. In this case, it resides on the stream.lds.org server. I can't tell you WHY they are doing it this way, but it often has to do with the licensing of the video. Since they don't list or sell these particular videos in their catalog, I would have to assume they don't have all the rights to them. They might have the rights to play them on demand, but not make them available for direct download.

Edit: Russell, the videos can be found HERE.

When I saw the 1K, I thought it might be a pointer of some kind. But what you said about licensing makes sense. I know they have the VHS and DVDs available from Primary Programs in the past- I just didn't want to have to buy all of them to get the few songs from each one especially if they were making a DVD of all of them soon.

OK. Thanks for the information. I'll probably talk to the Special Curriculum people again to see exactly why that is and if there's a way I can get around it. Or maybe I will have to wait until the end of this year or longer for the official DVD. Until then, I'll just do without.

Thanks!

Greta

Return to “Main Church Website”