Issues Synchronizing Calendar

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
gshosford

Issues Synchronizing Calendar

Post by gshosford »

I have not been able to synchronize my ward's calendar with Outlook 2007 this week. The last time I did an update was about 07 August 2012. When I try to update I get the error message: "Cannot verify or add the calendar to Outlook. Make sure the following link is a valid calendar link: webcals://www.lds.org/church-calendar/services/lu ... 5268647110." I obtained that link by copying it from the Sync page and pasting it into the IE 8 address bar. I have had similar issues in the past, waited a few days and things were back to normal; however, such has not been the case this time. Any suggestions?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

gshosford wrote:I have not been able to synchronize my ward's calendar with Outlook 2007 this week. The last time I did an update was about 07 August 2012. When I try to update I get the error message: "Cannot verify or add the calendar to Outlook. Make sure the following link is a valid calendar link: webcals://www.lds.org/church-calendar/services/lu ... 5268647110." I obtained that link by copying it from the Sync page and pasting it into the IE 8 address bar. I have had similar issues in the past, waited a few days and things were back to normal; however, such has not been the case this time. Any suggestions?
As explained in Calendar Availability Issues, the synchronization has been off and on over the last while (mostly off, in my experience, for the last couple of weeks). I did just check it a few minutes ago and it appears to be up again -- I was able to sync with no problem.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
gshosford

Post by gshosford »

aebrown wrote:As explained in Calendar Availability Issues, the synchronization has been off and on over the last while (mostly off, in my experience, for the last couple of weeks). I did just check it a few minutes ago and it appears to be up again -- I was able to sync with no problem.

Thank you for your response. I have not been able to synch at all today, but I will keep checking. And thank you for the "Calendar Availability Issues" link.
gshosford

Post by gshosford »

I was able to synchronize with Outlook 2007 for a few weeks, then I started having difficulty again. Over the last four or five weeks I have only been able to sync two time. Then it was only after pressing the "Generate new syn URLs" button. Whenever I try to sync, I get the following error message: "Cannot verify or add the calendar to Outlook. Make sure the following link is a valid calendar link:" then it gives the sync URL. Am I the only one having difficulty synchronizing? If so what am I doing incorrectly? Is it possible that a Microsoft update has muddied the waters? Please help. Our ward uses the calendar to create a forward-looking rolling eight week calendar for the ward leadership and it uses a rolling six-week version of it for the ward bulletin. There are too many events on the calendar to keep the calendar up-to-date manually and the rolling calendars are getting out-of-date.
ramonc

Yes I am having syncing problems also

Post by ramonc »

I posted the problem earlier today and came back hoping for some resolution and have found none. Glad to know it is not just me, but mine quit working. I created the new URL and am now not able to get it to sync with Google Calendar. 2 members of my stake presidency are having the same issue. Hopefully someone somewhere can help.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The problems outlined in the first 3 posts should have been solved by now. However, you can only use the sync URL once every 9 minutes. So the first step is to make sure you are not over-requesting. If you do, you'll end up with a null file.

Note this limits is for all devices and processes that use that URL, not a "per-device" limit.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ramonc

Post by ramonc »

RussellHltn wrote:The problems outlined in the first 3 posts should have been solved by now. However, you can only use the sync URL once every 9 minutes. So the first step is to make sure you are not over-requesting. If you do, you'll end up with a null file.

Note this limits is for all devices and processes that use that URL, not a "per-device" limit.

Did nothing all night - this morning still not able to import to google calendars. Get this error, same as what I have been getting all along.

Failed to import calendar from "http://www.lds.org/church-calendar/serv ... ........04

I would be more than happy to give you the entire link if that is what is needed for resolution.

I did not try the validator program suggested earlier, but all other times I have used it it came back clean.

Is there anything else, some setting somewhere that needs set?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ramonc wrote:I did not try the validator program suggested earlier, but all other times I have used it it came back clean.

It would be worth trying again. There could be a problem with a event that's been added that breaks the iCal format.

You could also try downloading the iCal file to your PC and then "feeding" it to Outlook to see if it works that way.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ramonc

Post by ramonc »

RussellHltn wrote:It would be worth trying again. There could be a problem with a event that's been added that breaks the iCal format.

You could also try downloading the iCal file to your PC and then "feeding" it to Outlook to see if it works that way.

Still not luck. Get same error when trying to "Add URL" in google calendar. If I download the file and then import to Google Calendar, it imports just fine. If I need to send you my link to try/verify, I sure can.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I used my link to sync to a different Google account and it worked. I'm out of ideas.

Return to “Calendar”