Unlocked household in directory still showing as locked on map tool

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
jerryjex

Unlocked household in directory still showing as locked on map tool

Post by jerryjex »

I'm relaying a map visibility and unlocking problem reported by the Koror Branch on the island of Palau in Micronesia. Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated. The map changes are being done over a telephone modem. We don’t think this is related to the “Private Household Bug”

We’ve been trying to load member locations into the church mapping tool. As an example Brother Aribuk's visibility in the Directory screen is:
Overall Household Visibility Limit: District Visibility
Address: District Visibility
Phone: District Visibility
Head of Household + phone: District Visibility
As you can see we’ve unlocked his household so we can enter data and so it can been seen by the “district”

However, on the mapping tool, Brother Aribuk is still showing as locked—the system will not let me enter on the map where he lives. The pop-up window says, “Unmapped household. This profile is private. To change it, you must edit your profile.”

Back in the old days it took 24 hours for a change to take place—however, I’ve had Brother Aribuk unlocked for about a month and still the mapping tool is showing him as locked.

Any suggestions or ideas of how to overcome this problem?[font=&quot][/font]
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

looking at my profile I see "Show on Map" between address and phone
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
jerryjex

Post by jerryjex »

Thanks. The "Show on Map" seems to be added during a recent revision. It allows you to view the map without toggling between the directory and the map screens.

The "Show on Map" appears for members who have already been mapped. For unmapped members we can't get that far. After clicking on the Household Visibility and Privacy Agreement page a rotating circle appear and stays forever more. This didn't happen a few months ago when we mapped the other members. Something has recently changed.

Another problem associated with visibility and privacy settings is that the system will not let the Branch President's ID unlock any family group where the woman is married to a non-member. (which constitutes quite a few households in our branch including the YW president and the RS president).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jerryjex wrote:The "Show on Map" appears for members who have already been mapped.
Catch-22.

One work around you could try is to have someone with the necessary access in the leadership portal edit the address. I don't think there's a need to change it just go in there and make sure it's in a format that the geocoder has a chance to understand. Hopefully that will cause it to be mapped.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jerryjex

Post by jerryjex »

Thanks for your suggestion but I don't think it will work here. Forgot that the rest-of-the-world has a different view of maps and addresses.

The Micronesia Islands don't have GPS type goecode mapped addresses. Many of the homes don't have named streets or house numbers. For example one LDS directory address is: Turn R after 2 water tanks. Turn R after the yellow fireplug. House is at end of rd.

Don't think that editing the address will help the geocoder understand any better. We end up finding each home and placing the location by hand on the map. That's why the maps are so important.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jerryjex wrote:Thanks for your suggestion but I don't think it will work here. Forgot that the rest-of-the-world has a different view of maps and addresses.

The Micronesia Islands don't have GPS type goecode mapped addresses. Many of the homes don't have named streets or house numbers. For example one LDS directory address is: Turn R after 2 water tanks. Turn R after the yellow fireplug. House is at end of rd.

Don't think that editing the address will help the geocoder understand any better. We end up finding each home and placing the location by hand on the map. That's why the maps are so important.
One possible workaround might be to enter an address using the Leader and Clerk Resources on LDS.org that can be geocoded (such as 50 E North Temple, Salt Lake City, Utah, 84150). That will get the address mapped. Then move the marker using maps.lds.org to its correct location in Micronesia. Finally, change the address using MLS to what it should be (changing the address in MLS doesn't currently affect the marker position or status).

That's a hassle, but if you tried it on one household and it worked, at least you'd have a way to fix such problems. If it's a widespread problem, it might not be worth the effort, but it would be instructive.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”