Editing contact information through website

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
aclawson

Editing contact information through website

Post by aclawson »

According to the access table I should be able to edit the contact information of other members through lds.org but I cannot find the menu option that will allow me to do this.

For that matter, are members allowed to change their own address through lds.org anywhere?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aclawson wrote:For that matter, are members allowed to change their own address through lds.org anywhere?

Generally, no. Clerks can change it though the Leadership portal, but that's not available to rank-and-file members.

Your ability to changes other's contact information will depend on your calling and having it recorded correctly in MLS.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

aclawson wrote:According to the access table I should be able to edit the contact information of other members through lds.org but I cannot find the menu option that will allow me to do this.
If you have the appropriate standard calling in MLS then you will find two locations to edit contact information. The first is in the Directory. That contact information is only for the phone numbers and e-mail addresses. The second is in Clerk Resources. Go to Membership | Member List and locate the member to edit. With the member's page displayed click the Edit link next to "Contact Information" on the "Individual" tab. Editing the address for any member of a household is an edit for the entire household as is an edit for the household phone and household e-mail.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

I have no edit link next to contact information, though as an assistant ward clerk the access table https://www.lds.org/mls/mbr/access-table.html?lang=eng shows that I should have this access.

Since I'm both an assistant ward clerk and an assistant stake clerk I'll betcha that I've encountered a bug with the access tables.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

aclawson wrote:I have no edit link next to contact information, though as an assistant ward clerk the access table https://www.lds.org/mls/mbr/access-table.html?lang=eng shows that I should have this access.

Since I'm both an assistant ward clerk and an assistant stake clerk I'll betcha that I've encountered a bug with the access tables.
Also finance clerks don't have rights in Clerk Resources, so the only rights you are getting are the assistant stake clerk rights.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

JonesRK wrote:Also finance clerks don't have rights in Clerk Resources, so the only rights you are getting are the assistant stake clerk rights.

Which assistant ward clerks have access as indicated in the access table?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aclawson wrote:Which assistant ward clerks have access as indicated in the access table?

I does this answer the question?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Not really.

Members with the following callings have access to the Leader Portal:
Assistant Clerk - Membership
Assistant Clerk

Some callings do not currently have access but will have access in the near future. These callings include:
Assistant Clerk - Finance

What is an assistant clerk who isn't an assistant clerk-finance or an assistant clerk-membership, and why would an undesignated clerk have access that a designated one does not? Finance clerks deal with addresses all the time when checks (and EOY statements) get mailed out. If we are re-designated as generic assistant clerks would that give us the necessary access?
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

The official runtime access list is found in the help section of lds.org: https://www.lds.org/mls/mbr/access-table.html?lang=eng

When you select the role your choices are:

Ward Clerk
Assistant Ward Clerk
Assistant Ward Clerk - Membership

On that list I didn't immediately spot any differences between AWC and AWC-M, so it would seem logical that since I am an AWC I should have access to what is indicated in that table.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

aclawson wrote:On that list I didn't immediately spot any differences between AWC and AWC-M, so it would seem logical that since I am an AWC I should have access to what is indicated in that table.

But you are not an Assistant Ward Clerk; you are an "Assistant Ward Clerk - Finance". It may not make sense to you that you would have fewer rights as an AWC-F than as an AWC, but in the access rights for web applications on LDS.org, that's the way it is done.

The assumption seems to be that an AWC-F is focused on finance issues, and does not necessarily have any responsibilities for membership issues. The solution for now is to have your calling listed as AWC, since AWC-F currently has no access to any applications on LDS.org. Or you can be given both callings if your bishop would like you to perform membership-related duties in addition to your finance duties.

You're not the first one to wonder about this odd bit of terminology; see:
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Membership Help”