Brigham City Temple Dedication

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
craiggsmith

Brigham City Temple Dedication

Post by craiggsmith »

Not sure where to post this, but I haven't seen any info on the Brigham City Temple Dedication broadcast yet. I'm hoping they will stream it, so we don't have to webcast it. It would be pretty inefficient to have all the stakes create their own webcast of it; last time a similar thing happened the webcast servers were overloaded.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I would work through your priesthood leadership for that. Given how tightly that broadcast is controlled, you may find that any attempt to stream it is killed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sammythesm

Post by sammythesm »

It seems to me that they would only allow an event like this to be transmitted via the church's encrypted satellite feed. I would think that retransmission via webcast would not be allowed as it is not nearly as secure as the satellite feeds.

@craigsmith, what event were you a part of that this happened "last time" - was it a temple dedication? and was that the instruction (to retransmit using a webcast of your own)?
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

We just went through the Kansas City Temple Dedication. It was done over satellite and locked down to specific Satellite receivers in Stake Centers. There was a test to validate the receivers were all configured correctly the week prior to the broadcast.
ksolsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by ksolsen »

I actually already received an email request about streaming the Brigham City Temple dedication. I passed it along to the broadcast team, and the reply was, "Due to the concern for security it has been decided that the dedication will only be fed via satellite to authorized Church units. Local units are not authorized to forward that feed locally via Internet streaming."
Kurt Olsen - Product Manager at Church HQ for Digital Presentation (Personal Video Conferencing, Meetinghouse Webcast, Conference Rooms, Video Conference Endpoints, Meetinghouse Digital Content)
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I believe the reasoning is that each location where the Dedication is viewed (other than the Temple) is treated as an extension of the temple. A member of a Stake Presidency presides, Temple Recommends are checked at the door. If a webcast is used, that becomes much harder to manage.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Interesting, good to know. Given that attendance will be somewhat limited I assume we will all be able to fit in our Stake Center. But I am told of at least one new stake center that is no larger than a regular ward meetinghouse because of the ability to stream.

The last event I was referring to was the Salt Lake City South area conference (or whatever it was called) within the past year.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

craiggsmith wrote:Interesting, good to know. Given that attendance will be somewhat limited I assume we will all be able to fit in our Stake Center.
There will be 3 separate broadcasts of the event, 9am, 12pm, and 3pm (Mountain Time). Our stake president is currently considering which 2 of those 3 sessions he would like the worthy members of the stake to attend, because our stake center probably won't hold us all in a single session. This is worth considering if you anticipate any kind of a capacity problem.

As others have mentioned, rebroadcasting of any kind is not allowed for temple dedications. Even to the point where they've asked that the RF audio for the assisted listening devices be turned off, as there's a possibility the RF signal might escape the building.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:As others have mentioned, rebroadcasting of any kind is not allowed for temple dedications. Even to the point where they've asked that the RF audio for the assisted listening devices be turned off, as there's a possibility the RF signal might escape the building.

Oh, that's a good one. Typically that cabinet is locked with only FM having the key. Not really under local leadership's control.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

craiggsmith wrote:Interesting, good to know. Given that attendance will be somewhat limited I assume we will all be able to fit in our Stake Center. But I am told of at least one new stake center that is no larger than a regular ward meetinghouse because of the ability to stream.

The last event I was referring to was the Salt Lake City South area conference (or whatever it was called) within the past year.

You will usually receive permission to stream an area conference if you do not have enough buildings with satellite for the members.

JohnShaw is correct about the strict controls regarding the broadcast of a temple dedication. Everyone attending will be at least 8 years old, be worthy to enter a temple and have a recommend specifically for this event, and the stake will be responsible for locking and controlling access to the building before and during the broadcast.

And as you mentioned, new stake centers are being built with chapels to hold a regular ward, not a stake, so there may be adjustments in the future. Still, we could fit our stake into the regular buildings with satellite equipment even if the stake center had a regular sized chapel.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”