Language problem

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
gayle01

Language problem

Post by gayle01 »

I am an administrator/builder scheduler. When I sign in, the page is listed as English, but when the tools, menu, etc. page comes up it is in Spanish. Please give instructions as to how I change & save my pages in 'English'...
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

gayle01 wrote:I am an administrator/builder scheduler. When I sign in, the page is listed as English, but when the tools, menu, etc. page comes up it is in Spanish. Please give instructions as to how I change & save my pages in 'English'...
In your browser's address bar, do you see "lang=spa" anywhere in the address (URL)? If so, that's an indication that somehow your LDS.org pages are being asked to be displayed in Spanish, so it's not surprising.

Do you see only the Calendar in Spanish, or are all the pages on LDS.org in Spanish once you sign in?

Does your header include the word "Idiomas" in the upper right corner? If so, click that, and in the dropdown that appears, choose "English."
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Depending on the page, you should either see a icon that looks like planet earth, or the word "languages" ("idiomas") with a drop-down list on the first first line of the webpage.

If that fails, I'd suggest clearing your browser cookies.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I think there's a bigger underlying problem with the site. Starting earlier today, every time I go to lds.org with Firefox, it comes up in Russian. I can select English from the little "globe" icon, but the next time I visit, it goes back to Russian.

This only happens with Firefox on this particular computer. I don't experience this problem with either Internet Exploder or Chrome, or on any other PC (real or virtual). Not sure what's different today versus the hundreds (thousands?) of others days I've visited that site with this PC.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
1968leocomeeatabite

Language problem

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

"In your browser's address bar, do you see "lang=spa" anywhere in the address (URL)? If so, that's an indication that somehow your LDS.org pages are being asked to be displayed in Spanish, so it's not surprising.
When I Sign in it looks like this: https://www.lds.org/church-calendar/?lang=eng#
So yes it is in English.
I can navigate anywhere around lds.org but when I Sign out it goes to Spanish. It looks like this.
https://www.lds.org/?lang=spa
I click on the earth and change it to English.
But every time I Sign out it will always go to Spanish.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:I think there's a bigger underlying problem with the site. Starting earlier today, every time I go to lds.org with Firefox, it comes up in Russian. I can select English from the little "globe" icon, but the next time I visit, it goes back to Russian.

This only happens with Firefox on this particular computer. I don't experience this problem with either Internet Exploder or Chrome, or on any other PC (real or virtual). Not sure what's different today versus the hundreds (thousands?) of others days I've visited that site with this PC.

We've had language problems before. clearing the cache and cookies fixed it then. The fact it's one browser on one machine suggests the same fix.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Mikerowaved wrote:I think there's a bigger underlying problem with the site. Starting earlier today, every time I go to lds.org with Firefox, it comes up in Russian. I can select English from the little "globe" icon, but the next time I visit, it goes back to Russian.

Starting today, any time I sign out using the Name/Tools dropdown menu signout button, I am thrown to the lds.org page in Spanish. I have repeatedly duplicated this using three different computers, Firefox each time, and clearing the cache does nothing to help. I do enter the site in English each time, even if I do not clear the cache. There is just something happening when I signout.

Is FF missing something, or is something at the site not telling FF something?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Starting today, any time I sign out using the Name/Tools dropdown menu signout button, I am thrown to the lds.org page in Spanish.

Confirmed. The signout link is

Code: Select all

https://www.lds.org/signinout/?lang=eng&signmeout
but the next page that loads is

Even executing that code manually does the same thing. Something's wrong with the signout function. (I used IE9)

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:Confirmed. The signout link is

https://www.lds.org/signinout/?lang=eng&signmeout
but the next page that loads is

Even executing that code manually does the same thing. Something's wrong with the signout function. (I used IE9)

Ah, the nefarious link name is different for actual link coded error. I sent Feedback through the lds.org page. They will probably chuckle when they get it sometime in the future and have already fixed the problem.
barkeraj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by barkeraj »

Thanks to Mikerowaved for pointing me here. I've brought this up with LDS.org team, who are likely at church. It may take us a while to get to it, but it's officially on our radar now. Thanks for reporting it
Aaron Barker
Front-end Development Lead for LDS.org (content portions, not apps) and Ward Executive Secretary.

Return to “Main Church Website”