Feature request: Decouple subscriptions from calendar display

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Feature request: Decouple subscriptions from calendar display

Post by russellhltn »

I know this was requested and discussed previously, but for some reason I can't find that thread. But that was a couple of minor versions ago, and it's still not in the current calendar, so I thought I'd raise it again.

At issue is that many members in a leadership position need two views of the calendar: One with just events they need to attend and one with everything on it to carry out their calling. Currently, they need to keep toggling their subscriptions between showing everything on the webpage and limiting what goes into their iCal sync.

On a related note, since at least the Android LDS Tools is capable of calendar selection, it may no longer be necessary to limit what is sent to that device.

As for how I personally want to use calendars, I want my "attend" events to show in my phone's calendar (via Google sync) while "all events" appear in LDS Tools and on the webpage. That's not possible under the current setup unless I'm missing something.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
preston.baxter

Post by preston.baxter »

Maybe a way for users to define a "set" of calendars for quick toggling; we currently have ALL ON and ALL OFF options, but perhaps another one or two (or more) CUSTOM sets of calendars? I'd use one called CLERK (all my ward calendars plus specific stake leadership), another YOUTH (local ward and stake youth, maybe add primary), another FAMILY (pick-and-choose from ward and stake), etc.
Thanks,
Preston Baxter
Highland Ward
Sandy Utah Granite South Stake
kyleq

Post by kyleq »

This feature hasn't been forgotten. We have it documented as part of the next major release. We're looking at doing something very similar to what preston.baxter described in that users should be able to create custom views which are collections of calendars. The workflow surrounding this is something we still need to figure out and the new UI pieces need to be designed. This is not something that is coming soon but it is something we have scheduled to work on and include.
smconvey

Post by smconvey »

RussellHltn wrote:I know this was requested and discussed previously, but for some reason I can't find that thread. But that was a couple of minor versions ago, and it's still not in the current calendar, so I thought I'd raise it again.

At issue is that many members in a leadership position need two views of the calendar: One with just events they need to attend and one with everything on it to carry out their calling. Currently, they need to keep toggling their subscriptions between showing everything on the webpage and limiting what goes into their iCal sync.

On a related note, since at least the Android LDS Tools is capable of calendar selection, it may no longer be necessary to limit what is sent to that device.

As for how I personally want to use calendars, I want my "attend" events to show in my phone's calendar (via Google sync) while "all events" appear in LDS Tools and on the webpage. That's not possible under the current setup unless I'm missing something.
Excellent suggestions. I would very much like to see all of these features added.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Great to hear, yes, this would be a very useful feature.
Craig
South Jordan, UT

Return to “Calendar”