Accessing building's audio

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
KeithWilson

Accessing building's audio

Post by KeithWilson »

Okay, one quick question. Does anyone know how to access the building system audio from within the satellite cabinet? For webcasts that have the library as the production room, where do you access audio in for the communicator?
rgme

Post by rgme »

KeithWilson wrote:Okay, one quick question. Does anyone know how to access the building system audio from within the satellite cabinet? For webcasts that have the library as the production room, where do you access audio in for the communicator?
In my stake center, we have a VCR that is in the A/V cabinet in the materials center. Since it is/was used for recording broadcasts, it has a video and audio feed (separate, not modulated into channels) from the distributed audio/video throughout the building. I just take that and plug it into the webcast solution (laptop in my case).
I found it very helpful to swing out the cabinet and familiarize myself with all the cords/equipment and what they connected. For example, there was an audio combiner that I could just as easily tap into if that was needed.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rgme wrote:there was an audio combiner that I could just as easily tap into if that was needed.

I think you mean audio distribution amp.

Sounds like your rack is set up similar to mine. But I'm hearing of racks where the audio goes direct to the modulator. Any recording device tunes to the RF rather then getting baseband video.

I would be cautious about digging into the rack. The FM group is responsible for it. Doing any kinds of modifications may not win any friends you could use. It might be wiser in the long run to go though the Stake President to ask FM to add a output jack to the system. That way everyone is happy.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
KeithWilson

Post by KeithWilson »

Thanks Russell, the ball is rolling that direction. Yea, that rack is off limits.
rgme

Post by rgme »

Thanks, you're right...distribution amp.

Yes, always make sure FM is on board. I did this with the regional FM's and stake president's blessing. He even opened the cabinet for me. I described to him the exact modifications I make: inputting the camera video feed to replace the main output of the video source selector going into a video distribution amp, and using the audio output going to the VCR.

I've thought about asking for separate jacks, but considering how easy and reversible it was to hook up, it wasn't worth the effort.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

rgme wrote:I've thought about asking for separate jacks, but considering how easy and reversible it was to hook up, it wasn't worth the effort.
That's fine until your successor has to go through the same experimental process, to do you what you are now doing. With the inherent risk of dislodged connections etc..

If the FM can and will fit the necessary jacks. Go for it, then its done and dusted!
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Wow.. cooperative FM groups all around... I can only dream of the day...
ksolsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by ksolsen »

We have posted a very good training video entitled "How to send a webcast" - click here. This includes detailed instructions on how and where to connect to the audio distribution amplifier in your satellite technology closet. Kind of nice to be able to actually see how the connection is made in the video...
Kurt Olsen - Product Manager at Church HQ for Digital Presentation (Personal Video Conferencing, Meetinghouse Webcast, Conference Rooms, Video Conference Endpoints, Meetinghouse Digital Content)

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”