Received unusual donation slips with tithing envelopes

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jgamber

Post by jgamber »

I've attached the form that we recevied in our recent shipment of tithing slips. Hope this helps.
Attachments
New Tithing Slip Instructions.pdf
(39.63 KiB) Downloaded 560 times
greggo

Post by greggo »

I'm familiar with the other categories, but where do donations to "Priesthood restoration site" go?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

greggo wrote:I'm familiar with the other categories, but where do donations to "Priesthood restoration site" go?
Everything that's not in one of the specific listed categories will be noted by the donor in that big "Other (specify)" box. That doesn't mean that the clerk will necessarily put it in Other -- the clerk puts it in the appropriate category.

The clerk will process donations to the Priesthood Restoration Site using the subcategory of Other called "Priesthood Restoration Site." See this post.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Just read through the whole thing. Seems like this is a very major change from what I've always done.

Made my first tithing and offerings donations in 1968, as a very young member, and those were the old handwritten receipts that the bishop himself would write up, after you gave him the money and told him what it was for, all the categories common through the years were there, missionary, welfare, and a few others under different names. Tithes and fast offerings were always first.

The first computerized things came next in 1970. You would put the offerings and a slip in an envelope, and a week later would get a bluish printout a week or so later when you went back to Sunday meetings. About the same categories. That lasted in various forms for many years until the first version of the more recent receipts came out, the ones with the carbon copy you could separate and keep as your receipt.

I think what we have going on also is member desire to donate to a number of other things, and there's only so much space, and they (other than the foul-up noted here) don't want to have to go and revise it and potentially waste a lot of paper receipts that wards have gotten in sometimes only days before the new version comes out. Also, having all the other categories grouped under 'Other' covers things should they introduce a new category.

But still, there's going to have to be a major education effort to show members how to do things given this is a major shift, probably for about 85 percent of the members they've never known anything else other than a slip that has a variety of other categories besides tithes and fast offerings. Missionaries too, because if you look at Preach My Gospel, one of the things is that a missionary can show a progressing investigator how to pay tithing and offerings before they actually do it.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

JamesAnderson wrote:But still, there's going to have to be a major education effort to show members how to do things given this is a major shift, probably for about 85 percent of the members they've never known anything else other than a slip that has a variety of other categories besides tithes and fast offerings.

I think a clerk may wish to keep a copy of the Notice dated August 3, 2012 that was sent to priesthood leaders. It lists the five general funds (in addition to Humanitarian Aid) that still qualify as charitable contributions. It also explains the benefit of using the Member Record Number for a member making a donation in another unit than their home ward or branch.

I would not hand out the actual back of the notice because it contains information pertaining to the processing of contributions that the member does not need to have.

But it would be very simple if you wish to prepare a short note that includes the first two bullet points. This might be of benefit to members who ask about the new donation slips.
joefarb

Post by joefarb »

I usually put both my my name and and my wife's name on the name line.

Are we supposed to put both membership numbers on the membership number line?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

joefarb wrote:I usually put both my my name and and my wife's name on the name line.

Are we supposed to put both membership numbers on the membership number line?
First, all donations are credited to an individual, not a couple. You're welcome to put both names, but the donation will most likely be credited to you. The clerk has an option to include your spouse's name on your year-end statements.

Second, when you are making a donation to your home ward, you don't need to put a membership record number on the donation slip at all.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

aebrown wrote:Second, when you are making a donation to your home ward, you don't need to put a membership record number on the donation slip at all.
This is good information that really should be shared with the general membership.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wrigjef wrote:This is good information that really should be shared with the general membership.
It was part of the 3 Aug 2012 letter titled "New Tithing and Other Offerings Form"; local leaders are welcome to (and really should) share that information with the members.
alan.richardson

Re: Received unusual donation slips with tithing envelopes

Post by alan.richardson »

Sort of reactivating an old thread, but it seems like the best place to start, following a question raised during an audit.

Does anyone know of guidance regarding the use of MRNs on the tithing slips for FTMs serving in a unit where they also make (Fast Offering) donations? Doing so would allow the home unit to provide a tax valid receipt to the FTM, but that is probably not a normal need. And for the home unit, the FTM is already classified as a Full tithe payer.

So not sure what using the MRN field and will provide as value added, other than I think it's the right thing to do.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”