Is MLS in Windows 7 64b supported?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
harrybal

Is MLS in Windows 7 64b supported?

Post by harrybal »

Hi
Does MLS work on W7 64b?
I can't login to my MLS after installing on Windows 7 64 b.
Anyone has some idea for fixing this?
I can't unistall it either.

Regards
Harry
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Greeting Harry, welcome to the forum!

There is a recent discussion about installing Windows 7 64-bit in THIS thread, but so far, no mention of it not working.

A couple of questions, if I may...

1. Can you be more specific as to what is not working in MLS? Is is just that you can't login?

2. After installing the OS, what steps did you take to put MLS back on? Is it possible the user accounts were not restored properly making it so you can't login?

3. What led you to install Windows 7 64-bit on the PC? Is it still Windows 7 Professional using the key attached to the case?

4. Why is it you can't go back to the 32-bit version? Do you need a DVD?

Thanks,
Mike
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Windows 7 64bit works dandy for my computers, I'll let the Destkop Management Team post their intentions about 64bit, but after a conversation with them, I was not dissuaded from using it.
sj3vans

Post by sj3vans »

I also called into the Desktop Management Team and was told to wait while she checked. After quite some time, she returned and said that they could not think of a good reason not to go 64-bit so long as I have a valid license. Since I have already prepared several machines with Windows 7 64-bit, I will deploy them and watch them for issues (such as them not receiving updates, etc). I can always put them back on 32-bit if needed due to trouble or a clear policy from HQ.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I've now updated about 7 clerk computers in my stake to my new Windows 7 64 bit image. I wanted to throw out a couple of lessons learned from this experience, they both involve driver issues.

First, Many of us likely are using Wireless Adapters for our clerk computers, and many of those are likely still Wireless G adapters, these drivers are not always supported or if they are no networking exists on the computer to download them from the Internet until after the drivers is installed causing an eternal loop. Linksys, particularly, does not have drivers for 64 bit. There are some work arounds, so far, I've been able to get everything installed.

Secondly, Printers are often in the same predicament, our stake is as diverse in its printers as I can imagine, I think out of 14 computers we probably have 10 different model printers (this was due to prior Clerk/STS not knowing policies and purchasing printers out of stake budgets rather than getting FMG to replace them). So, again, the caution, obtain the drivers if you can, or really know what you are doing, be prepared with another printer you know works if available.

Suggestion: If you are going to image a computer or install Windows 7 64 bit - it would be wise to pre-obtain the 64bit drivers, or if you can, install a few on the image prior to doing the sysprep. I've found that most Vista 64bit drivers can be made to work in the 64bit, or you can find the actual manufacturer of the chipset and get their drivers. If you have having trouble locating some, you can PM me and I may be able to help find something.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”