"Other location" missing from iCal file

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

"Other location" missing from iCal file

Post by russellhltn »

No idea how long this has been happening, but due to the events on our stake calender, I've noticed that events that use "other location" don't have a location tag in the iCal file used for syncing. As a result, the users can't see where the event is. Events taking place in a building do have a location tag, and it shows up properly on a Android device. LDS Tools does correctly show "Other location".

This became an issue because we have some events taking place in a neighboring stake. Since it wasn't taking place in any of our buildings, we choose "Other Location".

On a related note, I've noticed that my Android Calendar wants to make the location a hyperlink. But the "Maps" app doesn't do too well in locating "Stake Center". It may be worth investigating if there is a downside to including the address (or coordinates) in the location tag. That way the device can help the member locate (and even navigate) to the event.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kyleq

Post by kyleq »

I tested this out and saw the same results. I've logged this as a bug to get fixed in a future release.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:No idea how long this has been happening, but due to the events on our stake calender, I've noticed that events that use "other location" don't have a location tag in the iCal file used for syncing.

I have an iCal file from 18 months ago (Feb 2011) that definitely does include the location for events scheduled for "Other Location", so I can confirm that it worked properly once upon a time. Unfortunately, I can't find a more recent file right away, at least on this computer, so I can't narrow down when it broke. But in any case, Kyleq has verified it, so hopefully it will get fixed soon.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Calendar”