Removing married people from showing up in YSA list

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
rightbryce

Removing married people from showing up in YSA list

Post by rightbryce »

I apologize, as I'm sure this topic has been addressed previously. I tried to search the forums, but the search isn't working properly (searching the term "YSA" returned zero results, even though I could see titles that contained "YSA")

I am a fairly new Stake Clerk, and the question continues to surface regarding people who show up on MLS YSA lists that should not. (finding out they are married to a non-member, have kids, etc., but not having the marriage details...)

If we don't have the marriage details, etc., is there no way in MLS to remove them from being designated as YSA? Would I have to call SLC everytime to get this resolved?

Thanks in advance for any advice or direction you can offer.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm not in front of MLS right now, but I think the minimum required for a marriage to a non-member is the person's name. Maybe the marriage date. By default, the required fields will be colored yellow in MLS. So it's easy to check.

And yes, I believe that's the best way if not the only way to remove them from the various lists.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rightbryce

Post by rightbryce »

And If we cannot get an official marriage date?

Also, what about situations where they are cohabiting with their boyfriend/girlfriend and have kids. Not officially married, but yet we wouldn't want them on the YSA list.

Thanks for your guidance!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rightbryce wrote:Also, what about situations where they are cohabiting with their boyfriend/girlfriend and have kids.
One could question if they should be members at all. You may want to consult Handbook 1. Once upon a time that was the solution. But leaders seem reluctant to use that option now.
rightbryce wrote:yet we wouldn't want them on the YSA list.
How are you using the YSA list? It's been this way since before MLS. There's really no way to "edit" the YSA list that comes out of MLS or the church website. Leaders are always going to have to be aware of individual situations.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

RussellHltn wrote:I think the minimum required for a marriage to a non-member is the person's name.
The only required field in MLS is the maiden name. Even if you do not know that you can enter their married last name for the maiden name to place them in a married status. The record is not complete or correct but it does include the non-member spouse in the record and set the status to married.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:The only required field in MLS is the maiden name.
That's a pretty low bar. Keep in mind the new directory has a tendency to display the spouse's name. So I wouldn't go too wild about what's entered there.

kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

RussellHltn wrote:How are you using the YSA list? It's been this way since before MLS.
While not an answer to the OP's question:

I suspect the YSA issue here is now a YSA issue in many wards, when it was not before, because of the changes to the Quarterly Report that now ask for an accounting of the YSA's attendance in PR and RS. There is some truth to the "discussion" that I once heard: How can we report attendance for the YSA's correctly if the computer doesn't list them correctly and we can't change it?

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”