Calendar Export Function on LDS.org

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
anderal

Calendar Export Function on LDS.org

Post by anderal »

Has the export function been developed for the calendar?

It was referenced as a future development in FAQs located at: https://ue.ldschurch.org/ldsapphelp/cal ... leshooting and faqs/frequently asked questions.htm

If it has, can someone please post the process to export? Our stake is getting ready to go through the 2013 Calendar preparation, and we have always used this function in the "Classic" format.

Kindest Regards,

Adam Anderson
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

anderal wrote:Has the export function been developed for the calendar?

It was referenced as a future development in FAQs located at: https://ue.ldschurch.org/ldsapphelp/cal ... leshooting and faqs/frequently asked questions.htm
Ever since the Sync feature was developed, there has been a way to export calendar data as an iCal (.ics) file. The procedure for doing this is described in the old help system at Export an iCal file; I'm not sure why that procedure was not migrated to the new help system.

Once you have an iCal file, you can do a variety of things with it. If that meets your needs, then that's great; if you need it to be in some different format, please explain your needs and desired format, and perhaps someone can make suggestions.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
anderal

Post by anderal »

I think the issue I am running into is that the "Sync" feature doesn't actually generate an iCal file (at least that I can find), it creates a URL to sync with an Online Calendar system such as Google Calendar. I am attempting to export the calendar to a standard text file that I can parse by Stake Sub-Calendar and give to the various auxiliaries to review for 2013 planning purposes. This way they can review the events they had this year, which will help them in developing their respective calendars next year.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

anderal wrote:I think the issue I am running into is that the "Sync" feature doesn't actually generate an iCal file (at least that I can find), it creates a URL to sync with an Online Calendar system such as Google Calendar.

It definitely does create an iCal file -- that's what other systems consume when they sync. The steps I provided a link to (Export an iCal file) show you how to capture that file and save it on your computer. Did you actually try to follow those steps?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
anderal

Post by anderal »

I got the file to generate, which is 90% of the battle, now I need to see how to convert it into something I can manipulate for the various auxilliaries. Thanks for your help...
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

anderal wrote:now I need to see how to convert it into something I can manipulate for the various auxilliaries.

You might want to review this post and those that follow it to see some ideas for converting iCal to CSV.

Return to “Calendar”