Problems with Sign In/Tools Menu

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
wertdl
Church Employee
Church Employee

Problems with Sign In/Tools Menu

Post by wertdl »

There have been some changes recently to the LDS.org website. I like the changes, and appreciate the work you're doing.

When I open my browser (Google Chrome) for the first time, and go to lds.org, the Sign In/Tools menu does not work as follows:

1. All of the links for the various tools are incomplete, except for FIR and PB Request (e.g.: the URL for Notes and Journal is <http://study-tools/folders?lang=eng>)

2. If I click Sign In/Tools, the website refreshes.

3. Once the site refreshes, the entire menu becomes functional.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I see the same thing in Chrome. It works fine in IE9.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

This same issue occurred for a couple of hours on Friday on IE8 & Firefox. I just checked Chrome and it works fine for me. They may have corrected it for Chrome also since it was reported a couple hours ago.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:I just checked Chrome and it works fine for me. They may have corrected it for Chrome also since it was reported a couple hours ago.

Confirmed. I'm no longer seeing the problem on the same machine.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Chrisrpeterson

Post by Chrisrpeterson »

I just had it happen to me. Chrome doesn't work, Firefox is fine. I removed cookies from chrome, still had same issue.
--
Chris Peterson
chrisrpeterson@gmail.com
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Chrisrpeterson wrote:I just had it happen to me. Chrome doesn't work, Firefox is fine. I removed cookies from chrome, still had same issue.
You also need to empty your cache (ctrl+shift+Delete, make sure "Empty the cache" is checked and "from the beginning of time" is selected). Then refresh your page (ctrl+shift+R) and it should work. I say "should" because I'm still getting inconsistent results with Chrome. Sometimes doing the above fixes the problem, but sometimes I still get the broken links.

UPDATE: The links on the Sign In menu do seem to be working consistently correctly now with Chrome, now that I have cleared my cache. I did close Chrome in the meantime; I'm not sure if that was a factor or not.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
Chrisrpeterson

Post by Chrisrpeterson »

That worked. Thanks
--
Chris Peterson
chrisrpeterson@gmail.com
barkeraj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by barkeraj »

This is on our list. This is a server side issue, not a client side one. So clearing cache *shouldn't* have any influence on the outcome. Just luck of the draw as to if it is occurring at that microsecond you are hitting refresh.
Aaron Barker
Front-end Development Lead for LDS.org (content portions, not apps) and Ward Executive Secretary.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Aaron,

I'm going to send a private message about this but in case you don't check those, you might want to consider changing the message you are sending 'As an employee of the church' in the signature you have. I'm pretty sure you are not intending the message, but it is there.

Return to “Main Church Website”